Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot or go to Safe Mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 mat_m

mat_m

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

I can't boot my Vista Home Premium computer. I can get to Advanced Boot Options (via F8), but then the problems start. I tried a few obvious things - the results are below.

1. Normal Mode:

Microsoft running bar on the bottom of the screen
Black screen (blinking once or twice), computer working for 1-2 minutes, then crashes and reboots.

2. Disable Autorestart on System failure:

Same as Normal, except after the crash I get BSOD with the following message

"STOP:C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The NT Initial Command Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000001 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down."

3. Safe mode:

sys files loaded
Black screen with mouse pointer appears
Black screen then crash.

4. Last Known Good Configuration:

Black screen with mouse pointer for 1-2 minutes (computer working)
Crash

5. Repair Your Computer

Black screen with mouse pointer
Windows Logo in the middle of the screen
Green/blue screen with "Please Wait" for 1-2 minutes.
Login screen with button "Other User" in the middle and "Ease of Access" button in lower left corner.

The bottom button doesn't do anything, except show the name when mouse is over.
When I push "Other User" button, it asks for User Name and Password. When I try to enter any name I use, it gives error message:
"The specified domain either doesn't exist or could not be contacted"
If I try to click OK (arrow) without name/password, it gives error message:
"Windows Security: Please enter a user name and password".

The only way to get out of this screen is to power off computer. When power button is pushed, I get the message "Shutting Down" on the green/blue screen, then computer is off.

If I don't go to Advanced Boot Options, I get Windows Error Recovery screen with two choices:

1. Start Windows Normally - keeps rebooting.

2. Launch Startup Repair - same as Repair Your Computer (I get to "Other User" screen and have to shut down)

Something else. The computer has wired internet connection; at some point I disconnected the cable from the computer. While the computer rebooted without any problem during my experiments, when it was completely off, I could'n turn it on. When I tried to plug internet cable back in, it turned on even without pressing power button.

I repeated it with my modem shut down (no internet connection), but with the router/local network on - it was the same. I couldn't turn on computer by pushing ON/OFF button, but turned it on by plugging Internet cable.

The computer is about 2.5 years old and I don't remember if it came with the Repair disc (bought at BestBuy) - can't find it anyway.

My main concern is that I have some stuff which is not backed up (about week's work) on the hard disc. Is there any way to access / copy it? And of course, I want to get my computer working again, even if I have to reinstall everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:06 AM

When I push "Other User" button, it asks for User Name and Password. When I try to enter any name I use, it gives error message:

Try to enter username and password administrator and see if you can proceed with the Startup Repair doing so.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 PowerUp69

PowerUp69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

I have this same Problem. I have even tried administrator with no luck

#4 PowerUp69

PowerUp69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

I have this same Problem. I have even tried administrator with no luck

#5 mat_m

mat_m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:55 PM

Thank you, Elise. I did try "administrator-password" combination (unsuccessfully), but didn't think about your idea.

Fortunately, I was able to download Vista Recovery Disc and boot from it, so I could save my files and restore Windows. Unfortunately, it looks like all these problems were caused by a rootkit virus, which I am trying to fight now. But that's another topic.

I am not sure if it's permitted to give a link to the Recovery Disc, but it's not hard to find. If needed, I can provide it.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:58 AM

Sorry, but we do not allow nor encourage illegal downloads. There are some legal possibilities to get a recovery disk, but the vast majority you find on the internet for download is illegal.
On top of that, by using these downloads you risk infecting your computer with the latest malware. Illegal downloads are often used to distribute the latest malware.

See also BC's board rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Since your initial problem is resolved and to avoid any confusion, I am closing this topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users