Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB memory stick?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hi

I plugged my memory stick in as usual but does not show anymore in My Computer. I have some important files on there any ideas please?

Geoff
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:07 PM

Does the drive light up when inserted?
Have you tried it on other USB ports or another system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:36 AM

Hi

Thanks for your reply. yes l have tried it on every port on my laptop and every port on my wife's laptop. Interestingly, on my wifes laptop the drive shows in My Computer but when you try to open it it says "Please insert disk". Her laptop is running Win XP, mine is Win 7.
The USB stick lights up as usual when l plug it in either laptop. The stick is a Maxell 1GB S0720SV

Thanks

Geoff
Geoff

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

Do you hear the usb sound when you plug it in? Have you checked device manager, to see if the usb shows up there?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Assuming that the drive is still functional, you can try to force the USB to open.

Go to Start> Run and type in mmc devmgmt.msc and click on OK.

When the Device Manager opens right click on the icon of the two monitors at the top of the column, then click on Scan for hardware changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

When l plug the stick in it makes the usual noise and shows up in Device manager. Not sure what yoiu mean by forcing it open, or the icon you mentioned though.

Thanks
Geoff

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

Two different things could be going on. On is a mechanical failure. Not good. :thumbsup:

If Dc3`s advice does not work but it is only a corrupted data problem then you may have some luck regaining access with Partition Find and Mount.

Third party software disclaimer; Many free programs now come bundled with unwanted\unneeded software. Do not become click happy upon installing any such software. It is suggested to un-check any boxes that install tool bars or any other software that is not needed for the proper function of the intended program being installed.

#8 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

Hi

Thanks for your replies, tried the Find & mount software, good by the way, but unfortunately shows 0kb on the stick and cant find any partitions.

Is there anything else l can try before i throw it away.

Many thanks
Geoff

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

Plug back into your wife's laptop and then in my computer right click in the usb, properties, tools, check now in error checking. Also tick "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" and then click start. After scan click on view details and take screenshot of the details.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:33 AM

Did you try Dc3`s suggestion?

Killerx525 states a valid suggestion. Worth a try.
However in this case it sounds like a mechanical failure so to speak. I`m afraid it may be destined for the round file. :thumbsup:

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Not sure what you mean by forcing it open, or the icon you mentioned though.
Thanks

The place you want to right click on is being pointed to by the arrow at the top of the picture below.

Posted Image

After right clicking on this a menu will open with the choice to Scan for hardware changes, click on this.

Edited by dc3, 07 November 2010 - 11:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users