Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need an adaptor to connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bramblator

bramblator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

I'm not too technical so firstly I apologise about the wording that I use.

I have a really old Toshiba laptop, (about 10 years old), it has the old internet connection socket. We use to have to use an adaptor when on dial-up to convert it from the telephone size to the internet size, if that makes any sense to you. But nowadays we have the new size ethernet connections don't we???

What I would like to do is buy a convertion adaptor to enable me to go online with it again. Someone has suggested that I buy an adaptor called RJ45. Would this be the right thing? By the way I can't have wifi.

Many thanks for any responses and your patience

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

The connectors on a laptop...determine the type of connection, no more.

Older computers had dialup connectors when dialup was the major way of connecting...if a user does not employ dialup, that connector is meaningless (which is why they have disappeared from some systems.

So...the question is...what type of connection capability do you have (wireless, DSL, cable, dialup) at your residence?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2010 - 05:26 PM.

#3 bramblator

bramblator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have satellite broadband that I have to plug in to my laptop - an ethernet plug/connection

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

What is the exact make and model number of your Toshiba.

I am thinking you need a serial to RJ45 adapter.

#5 bramblator

bramblator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

I think that this is it: The model number is: PAT800E-C963-EN would that be right?

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

Had a look at the specs of your lap top. And downloaded the Technical Specifications available at the bottom right of the same page.

It does have a USB port available. Something along these lines may work. < Given for example purposes only.

That is a very old lap top with very limited resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users