Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus P5L-VM 1394 Bios problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hi;

Would like to inquire about why am I experiencing this problem wherein my 250gb SATA drive(Active/boot device) is not detected as the Primary IDE Master in the BIOS. It used to be that it is the Primary IDE Master but yesterday I was dumbfounded that it was in fact detected as the Third IDE Master.

I got to see that when I was going to temporarily install a logical drive (Seagate 40gb IDE). Also upon installing the Seagate 40gb IDE the bios detected it but placed it in the Third IDE Master whereas the 250gb SATA drive-Active/boot device was transfered to the Primary IDE Slave.

I do not know how can I make the 250gb SATA drive-Active/boot device as the Primary IDE Master and the Seagate 40gb IDE as the Primary IDE Slave.

My motherboard is ASUS P5L-VM 1394 and my bios features is 4 Mb Flash ROM, AMI BIOS, Pnp, Wfm2.0, DMI2.0, SM BIOS2.3

With only the 250gb SATA drive-Active/boot device used(detected as Third IDE Master) - made the Third IDE Master as "Not Installed" and the rest as "Auto" to check it will be detected in the Primary IDE Slave or Primary IDE Master but to no avail. It did not detect it at all.

I am not very techy on this kind of stuff and I am kinda jittery about doing something without first asking for help/assistance.

Also;

Will flashing the BIOS solve this or will I just upgrade the BIOS? I see that in the manual that it has he ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility in the BIOS. It also has the ASUS CrashFreeBIOS 2 utility and it also has capability to update the BIOS in the Windows environment(Using XP SP3 at the moment).

Haven't attempted anything yet and has left it as it is.

Can you guys point me towards a sequence what to do/try ..please.

My system has a Pentium D processor 4gb RAM, nVidia 1gb PCI Express2 video card, on-board sound, XP SP3 OS.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

To be honest...it really doesn't matter what a SATA drive is designated as in the BIOS.

BIOS identification of drives is only important to the extent that the drive is properly recognized...and the boot order reflects whatever you have have established in the boot/hard drive settings in the BIOS.

If the system boots properly, I would not worry about such. What you have concern over...is not a problem, IMO.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

As hamluis says, it really doesn't matter. You're not going to be able to have a SATA drive and an IDE drive designated Master and Slave on the same channel (Primary) as they're on two different controllers. The only thing Primary (1st Master/Slave), Secondary (2nd Master/Slave) and Tertiary (3rd...) means is a way of stating in English what port address the controller is allocated. When you swap drives around, controllers can get allocated different ports, but it shouldn't cause any problem.

If you really wanted it back how it was, you could see if the BIOS setup has a "Clear ESCD Data" or "Force ESCD update" option, or try clearing the CMOS memory, either may cause the port allocations to revert to how they were before. But I can't guarantee that.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

@hamluis/Platypus;

Okay very well said. It does have an ESCD Data clearing feature but since the system boots properly then it would not be an issue. Thanks for the guidance.

Regards!

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

You're most welcome.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users