Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network confusion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

Trying to file share macbook & tablet pc w/ winxp prof w/ classic file sharing configured

Currently I can connect & open files both ways. I can copy files to the pc but not from the pc to the mac. I only get asked for a password going from the mac to the pc. I'm guessing that I'm connecting to the mac as a guest and I'd like to turn that off, if possible, and connect as a registered user. Also, I can only connect to the pc using the Go > Connect to server. My pc icon shows up in Finder's sidebar when I turn the pc on, but if I simply click it I get a "connection failed" message at the top of the window. I have "file share w/ smb" checked w/ my accounts checked below and the workgroup's name in the WINS tab in network preferences.

Currently, I'm the only user on both the pc and mac and I'm not trying to connect to any other computers. In both my pc and mac the idea was to set up 2 admin accounts and 1 staff/power user account and configure local permissions so that I can get to any of my account documents from any account. Likewise I try to configure file sharing so that I can get to any account from any computer - and only I can access my accounts.

I tried giving "everyone" no access, but then I couldn't connect to the mac. With everyone set to read only I can connect to the mac and open files, but I can't save back to the mac. With everyone set to read & write I can copy files both ways.

Is the only way to connect to the mac from a pc as a guest?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoliCiel

JoliCiel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:38 PM