Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP does not write to CD drive

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 KenWA

KenWA

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

I have run a custom built machine with an Asus motherboard and XP Pro SP3 with two CD/DVD drives (of unknown make) for 2 years. I seldom use CD's these days but yesterday I attempted to copy some files to a Verbatim CD-R and CD-RW and received the response "No disk in drive".

I ran a live version of LinuxMint which found both drives, recognised the disks and wrote an deleted data. I then checked the drives with audio disks and previously written or commercially imprinted disks and these were recognised and ran without problems. Device Manager reported both drives as working and normal. Recording was ticked in the Properties menu.

I searched the Web and found a Microsoft article "Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media" but the Automated Troubleshooting diagnostic would not run despite Powershell and MXMXL 6.0 being installed. I followed up the related article 982116 "Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognised by Windows or other programs" and followed the instructions to delete Upper and :LowerFilters in the Registry. I do not have iTunes or Zunes installed, nor any Roxio software but I have had Nero 6 for years.

I also took the steps to uninstall the drivers in Device Manager, reboot and then allow Windows to reinstall the drivers without improvement. I also asked Device Manager to search for updated drivers but it did not find any. At this stage I now found that the "No disk in drive" had changed to "X:\ is inaccessible. Incorrect function."

I tried LinxMint again and it also does not see the drives now but Nero sees the drives and recognises the disks. It copied a data disk from one to the other and Windows Explorer now sees the data. Nero then deleted the data and Explorer can now no longer see the drive.

The problem is obviously not with the drives but with software. I ran SFC without effect and in desperation I turned to doing a Repair Installation of Windows but unfortunately Windows finds a problem with my licence despite the fact that I have only changed printers.

I would value any advice which could explain and, hopefully, repair this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

<<...but unfortunately Windows finds a problem with my licence despite the fact that I have only changed printers.>>

Unfortunately...forum rules do not allow us to assist members where it is evident that they have an illegal install of XP. I suggest that you take care of your license issues before further pursuing this subject.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

#3 KenWA

KenWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:00 AM

You assume too much. I am not running an unlicensed version of Windows. I purchased the computer together with a CD of the OS in 2007 and re-installed the OS in 2009 after slipstreaming the disk with SP3. The fact that Windows is now finding a 'problem' is unfortunate but unreliable. I have been updating Windows every month since 2007 - surely WGA would have identified an unlicensed version by now?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

<<You assume too much.>>

<<...but unfortunately Windows finds a problem with my licence despite the fact that I have only changed printers.>>

I don't see where I'm assuming anything, your words speak for themselves, IMO.

Louis

#5 KenWA

KenWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

Further thoughts. It is hard to visualize the user of a pirated version of Windows posting on a forum and advertising that fact. When I had this problem I searched the Web to read up on Windows Product Activation and discovered that there is an app called XPinfo.exe which searches for the offending changes in the system which cause it to require re-activation and it found my computer to be fully licensed. I have attached proof therof.Attached File  Xpinfo.jpg   35.31KB   1 downloads

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

Do you have any reason to suspect either a past or current infection?

While it may or may not be the reason for your burning problems, I have seen the Licensing problem as a symptom, intentional or otherwise of some infections. Or their removal.

#7 KenWA

KenWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

The short answer is no. There are no other problems in any area and I run daily antivirus and antispyware scans and am behind a hardwired router firewall and run Zone Alarm.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

Well, that was my shot in the dark :ph34r:

Sorry. :blush:

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

Have you updated your CD's firmware?

#10 KenWA

KenWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

What do you mean by firmware? How do you update firmware for drives of unknown make? Why should anything have changed over the last 3 years? Remember that the drives read all types of disk and can be accessed and written to by Nero and by Linux. It is only Windows which cannot see blank disks in the drives.t

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Windows needs updated firmware on the drivers. You can get the drive make and model's from Linux.

#12 KenWA

KenWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:30 AM

I'm a bit lost here. I stated in my original post that I had asked tried updating the drivers and Widows failed to find an update. In an attempt to find the make of the drives I have run Belarc Advisor and SIW and neither came up with a name. But just how Linux will find the answer is beyond me.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:00 AM

Can you post the results from Belarc, and as well run the following:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

Just for future reference. Another way you should be able to find the make\model\manufacturer of an optical drive is to go to Device Manager. Expand the + symbol next to CD\DVD-ROM Drives.

What is firmware.
Firmware is different and separate from Windows drivers. Located, burned\programed onto a chip on the circuit board located with in the optical drive. It is not installed with or included in Windows.

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 November 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#15 KenWA

KenWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

As requested.

Speccy - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/H2uYJIWT2ffSYmBFkZ2Bp1J

Belarc shortened report attached

Attached Files