Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID array problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyAlligator

CrazyAlligator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hello All,

Thanks in advance to anyone with words of wisdom.

The short story.

- An MSI P6NGM-L motherboard had an existing mirrored bootable array consisting of 2 320GB SATA drives.
- The array was set up as 2 x 160GB partitions.
- One drive crapped out. Drive was physically removed from the box and will not spin up.
- Remaing drive continued to boot with notification of degraded array.
- Installed new 320GB identical drive in box.
- Went into F10 RAID config, and config program asked if I wanted to remove MBR. I accidently chose YES.
- Now drive is seen as 320GB unallocated space.
- Tried booting to Recovery Console of XP CD to try FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, but Recovery Console does not see a Windows installation.

I don't want to try anything else without getting expert advice.

Thanks for your time.

gator

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

Sorry but without the use of a professional recovery service your data is more than likely gone. One thing you might try since it was mirrored set is to install windows on your new drive and try to use a free data recovery application.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 CrazyAlligator

CrazyAlligator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I figured it out. Very cool tool at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. In less than a minute I had everything back in order after spending several hours trying all the tricks I knew. The app runs in a Windows environment, so I put the drive into another PC. The app runs and finds the "missing" partitions. Defaulted to first partition as boot and second as logical, but offers manual override. Say "Write", then reboot. Presto, my drive letters were back and all data in tact. Definitely a new tool for the arsenal.

Gator

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the new tool! Glad you got your stuff back.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users