Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80 GB SATA/150 HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:07 AM

I'd like to see what's on this HDD. Is there any way to safely add it to my existing system?
Dell Dimension E 310 Windows XP Home SP 3

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2010 - 05:28 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:32 AM

safest way is by using a external sata hdd case

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

I've got one THESE that comes in real handy.. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:38 AM

if this is a notebook hard drive and/or you're just trying to see what's on it (ie, not using it permanently and forever keeping it), connect the power and data to the inside of your pc. If you don't have spares, you can get the cables off newegg or any hardware store for cheap - check your PSU for sata power connectors. If you don't have any, get a molex (4-pin) to sata converter.

you can mount the drive on anything and in any direction as long as you don't move it while it's on. put it on the bottom of your case, get the data off of it and turn the computer off and disconnect.

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:12 AM

what i did was to take out my original hd and replace it with this one, it loaded windows xp and desktop but my mouse would not move, my system had space for another hd but only one extra connector, only one smaller of the two blue wire connectors, not wanting to damage my sytem i thought it best to remove it and go back to my original hd

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:49 AM

what i did was to take out my original hd and replace it with this one, it loaded windows xp and desktop but my mouse would not move, my system had space for another hd but only one extra connector, only one smaller of the two blue wire connectors, not wanting to damage my sytem i thought it best to remove it and go back to my original hd

oh ,i thought you said you wanted to Safely add it, to see what was one it ,once you open the case safty goes out the window!

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users