Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Drive problems (software)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 e4xit

e4xit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:34 AM

Hi there!

So I'm currently having a little CD trouble; well CD burning trouble to be more precise...
I can read Cds/DVDs etc in my laptops HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU10N ATA Device, and i can burn CD's but heres the catch, ONLY in iTunes.

Now my first port of call was obviously to unistall iTunes (as i thought it might have taken over haha) and try again...no luck.

Since doing this i hae uninstalled device(/restart etc etc), removed the device physically, updated drivers for it, been into the registry and removed upperlimit strings (or something there were called, iTuens related anyway).

The problem is when i insert a blank media (no its not a cheap brand), nothing will happen in explorer, this is followed by me double clicking my cd drive icon (O:\) which will bring up the prompt ("Windows can't read the disc in drive o" please make sure the disc uses a format that windows recognises).

I am on Windows 7 by the way, and yes i also tried different discs (im 1/2way through the stack of 50 i have of these anyway, there WERE working fine)!

I think (although with absolutely no evidence) that it MAY have something to do with either Nero 10/roxio/magic iso/magicdisc editing some very important file.
:. i unistalled all of those programs/restarted but to no avail.

I also have a registry cleaner by the way of 'Windows 7 Manager', if this is relavent.

Hope i provided enough info for someone to help me, if not just ask,

Many thanks

Wil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

Hello e4xit,

A quick Google search brought me to this link: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/1b81ee7a-75fc-47ab-b258-95869eddc147

Try the steps with links listed in the answer.

My personal preference is to use a program called CDBurnerXP (that works on Windows 2000, XP 32-Bit and 64-Bit, 2003, Vista 32-Bit and 64-Bit, and Windows 7 32-Bit and 64-Bit, despite the "XP" in the name) as my CD/DVD burning software of choice. It's free and burns all types of CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs.

Hope this points you in the right direction! :huh:
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users