Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats Wrong with my Computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tertle

tertle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

So I'm at my wits end and need some help! I cant figure out what is wrong with my computer or which direction I should head next in trying to fix it. Below is an overview of everything that has happened thus far. Im looking for suggestions or idea on what I should do!

Thanks you for any help!

Initial Problem:
After sitting dormant for a couple years, I pulled the old desktop from the closet and fired it up. All was working great: updating windows, downloading and installing new programs… that is until a day or so later when it just shut down. When I would try to start it back up, the fans would all spin a full rotation then stop, fancy blue lights would turn on momentarily then turn off… it was like it wanted to start up, but kept shorting out or didn’t have enough juice to turn on.

Initial Diagnosis Attempt:
Figured it was either the PSU or motherboard. Tried a backup power supply that I had lying around with the same results… I figured this to show that it was not the power supply and that the motherboard was the culprit. Oh well, it was an old computer anyway.

Initial BIG Fix:
I took the whole thing apart and cleaned out the case in preparation of new components… older, discontinued stuff (read as cheaper)… but still new. I added a new motherboard (refurbished), new CPU, new memory, and even a new video card for good measure. I put it all back together and fired it up without a monitor, simply to make sure it turned on. The computer turned on and stayed on. All the fans and lights were working great and I figured the problem had been fixed... that is, until the secondary problems were discovered.

Secondary Problems:
1. When I try to shut the computer down (holding down the power button for 10 seconds), the computer shut off, but then 2 or 3 seconds later, it started back up on its own! Haunting.
2. I then attached a monitor, turned the computer back on, and I noticed there is NO signal being fed to the monitor. Hmmmm.

Secondary Diagnosis Attempt:
I first thought I would try and tackle the “No Signal” to the monitor problem. I tested the monitor on a separate computer… works perfectly. I then tried attaching the monitor to both the onboard video as well as the new video card with the same “No Signal” results for both… Frustrating! Next step is to double check all connections and hopefully come across something I’ve missed. My fingers are crossed, but in the event that nothing is found, I need your help!!!
Does anyone have any suggestions on which direction I should go next?

ABOUT THE SYSTEM

The new components:
CPU: Intel P4 3.6TGHz, 800MHz, 1MB, Socket 775
Motherboard: Biostar 945 Micro 775 SE, Intel 945GZ Socket 775d
Memory: (2) 1G Kingston DDR2 RAM PC2-4200, 240 Pin
Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce 9600GSO, 512MB, 1GB TurboCache, DDR3 PCI-e

The parts from my old computer that remain are:
Case and Cooling Fans
CPU Fan/Sink
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling – Turbo-Cool 510 SLI
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 200GB (still to be reformatted… so all my old drivers and whatnot are on it)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

First thing I would do is change the CMOS Battery.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 200GB (still to be reformatted… so all my old drivers and whatnot are on it)

This may or may not cause problems. But since you mention a format I figure you are aware of that.

That mobo has an on board video chip. Since you have purchased an add-on card I guess that is where you have the monitor plugged in.

If that is the case then try plugging the monitor into the on board. Enter the BIOS and change the setting for it to use the add-on card. Sorry. Due to all the different configurations of BIOS I am not able to tell you exactly how. Be sure to save the settings before exiting the BIOS.

Shut off the machine and now plug the monitor into the add-on card.

Due to driver differences you may still experience boot problems.

#4 tertle

tertle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:41 PM

Well, nothing has worked so far. The monitor is still not receiving a signal from the computer and the computer is still automatically turning back on after every attempted shutdown.

What Ive done thus far:
Replaced the CMOS battery...
Played around with the front panel connection wires...
Tested the system on a separate power supply...
Disconnected all drives...

Any other ideas?
Maybe a bad motherboard (even though I just bought it)?
Could the case be shorting something out?

#5 pleurebleu

pleurebleu

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hello,

I'm no expert on hardware problems but a friend of mine recently had a similar issue and the problem was related to him having an extra screw screwed on his motherboard and basically making contact with the case which he never was able to diagnosed.

Because of that, whenever he would turn on the computer, he would have no signal, like you.

He had to bring it to a repair shop which is where then found out.

My point is that since it's a new motherboard, maybe give it a check. Who knows ... ^^

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

Hello I find your problem to be an interesting one. Although I have heard of your problem happening before.

I am referring to your shutting down the computer the proper way, only to have the computer start back up again.

I realize at this moment you have a formatted hard drive. So I know you no longer have Windows shutting down the computer at this point. So I am trying to guess here how you are shutting the computer down, besides just turning it off. ( I assume by using the power on button?)

Motherboards have different options that can be set in the BIOS for what the power button does when it is pressed in while the computer is already running.

If you were lucky enough to get a motherboard manual with your motherboard, I would read up on the options available in your motherboard's BIOS setup that has to do with how the power button on the computer case functions.

I would pay close attention to the main menu of your BIOS where it may mention POWER OPTIONS.

I am not clear at this point if you are able to get any picture at all to show up on the monitor.
If you can at least get the BIOS menu to show up, we have some options to work with here.

If your display is blank and both on-board and add-on video graphics displays are suffering from this problem, then it would be clear you could be suffering from a processor problem.

It appears you are using the same processor on another motherboard, while most of your other hardware has been replaced along with this motherboard.

I would also take it you have the same RAM modules that you had in the other motherboard.
It is not unheard of that RAM can cause issues like this as well.

Now there is a possibility you have this motherboard shorted out somewhere, but it appears you are also suffering the same results you experienced with an entirely different motherboard, so I tend to believe you did not make the same mistake twice. Therefore I do not truly believe your motherboard is shorted to the case.

I am correct to assume you have both the same processor and the same RAM sticks on this motherboard that you had in your original motherboard. Is my assumption here correct?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 November 2010 - 12:21 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 tertle

tertle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

The CPU, Motherboard, and RAM are all new.
The only things left over from the old system are: Power Supply, Fan/Heat Sink, Hard Drive, CD/DVD, and the Case.

And no, there is NO signal at all from either the on-board video or video card.

I keep thinking that if I can relieve the video problem, then I can get into the Bios and possibly fix the shutting down/starting up problem. I am currently shutting it down by holding the front ATX power button, then manually switching the power supply off before it starts back up.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Since the initial start-up is Windows independent, with the monitor plugged into the on board I am very curious as to why you can not see a display long enough to access the BIOS.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Thank you for clearing a few misunderstandings up.

What we have here then is a new motherboard, new RAM and new CPU.

You are experiencing the same symptoms that another motherboard, RAM and CPU experienced.

The monitor is the same monitor, however, you claim this monitor was tested with another computer and works.

You have connected the monitor to both the on-board and add-on video ports to have the same results, no display.

To my understanding, you have tried a different PSU, but have experienced the same results.

We have in your present setup, the same PSU, the same hard drive and the same optical drive.

Now for some questions.

Do you hear any POST beep codes during boot up?

Is there any way you can connect a different monitor to your computer to see if it works with your computer?

As much as I would like to say the computer case is not the issue here, can you assemble the motherboard on a clean surface out side of the computer case and power the motherboard up to verify if your computer case is or isn't causing this issue?

If you could do that, this would either eliminate the computer case as a possible suspect.

Also, make sure that all required PSU power connectors have been connected to the motherboard and are tight and secure, there is other power connectors beside the 20-24 pin ATX power connector.

There are 4 pin and 8 pin connectors called 12 Volt power, that need to be connected as well.
Double check those.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 November 2010 - 05:51 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users