Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access with web browsers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stantech

stantech

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hi, this is my first post and after reading many others I am confident you have the expertise to help me. I am working on a friend's dell demension 8300 and it was infected with various malware. Finally got eveything cleaned and now I cannot access the internet. The computer downloaded updates for windows and a malwareware program I loaded. I ran a ping to google that sent and recieved 4 packets just fine. After I completed the initial cleanup I did get on the internet through Firefox for a brief period. I tried Chrome as well and still no good. appreciated any help. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

Check your proxy settings:

Change proxy settings in Internet Explorer

You should not be using a proxy (normally). Malware often changes proxy settings to have a measure of control over the infected machine by routing the internet connection through their chosen proxy server.

Chrome uses IE's proxy settings, but Firefox can have it's own settings (although it probably uses IE's, too).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 stantech

stantech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

You got it! I should have thought about that. Thanks for the quick response.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

:thumbup2:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web