Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to Wireless Network, No Internet, Windows XP just reinstalled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 michelle2009

michelle2009

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hello there!

I would first like to preface this by saying I am not the most tech savvy- I have received awesome help from this forum in the past and was sure to donate! I am enlisting your services yet again; my thanks in advance!

Last week I was having some trouble with my computer, my wireless connection was very spotty and my machine was running slow- I had previous trouble with viruses (which is why I contacted this site the first time) so I decided to try for a fresh start and reinstall my OS, Windows XP. However, upon doing so, and getting the latest updates for WindowsXP, I have this problem:

I am connected to the wireless network, but I am unable to get internet on my web browsers. I can connect to my neighbor's wireless (with permission! :thumbsup: ) but I am unable to connect to my own. In addition, my room mate can connect to our wireless network just fine (I am writing from his computer to post about this problem!)

I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router WRT54G.

So far I have tried renewing my IP address, manually typing in my IP address, and refreshing my IP cache.

Please let me know if there's any more information you need! Again, my thanks in advance!

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Can you go to Start then Run and type in cmd hit enter.

In the big black box that comes up type in the following:

ipconfig /all >> c:\ipconfig.txt

Navigate to My Computer open up the C Drive

Open up the ipconfig.txt file and copy and paste the contents here do this for both connections so we can see the difference.

#3 michelle2009

michelle2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

Oh hello! I'm so sorry to take up your time, I found that the problem resolved itself when I reinstalled the network adapter. Thanks so much for your help!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

Naw no time wasted in asking for help, but thanks for posting your solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users