Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis Partition Backup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matta Hammond

Matta Hammond

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

My buddy has a machine with 4 hard drives and needs the all pretty much mirrored to a new machine. Problem is both machines are different, but are pretty much are using the same brands (gigabyte mobo, amd phenom II processor, and G. skill ram.

The main hard drive (C: of course) which contains his system files, program, and files. He wants to mirror the entire drive to a bigger drive and have it run onto another machine so when he leaves town the computer are pretty much identical.

I used the software before, but I've done this on identical machines with no problem and I'm thinking this is impossible, but I may be wrong. If I can manage to mirror this drive and work on the other machine than everything should be all good. Thanks

Matta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

Is this a Windows operating system?

If this is a Windows operating system, do both computers have product codes for the same operating system?

When this is installed on the other computer will this be replacing the operating system already installed on it?

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error. I would have to assume that installing a mirrored operating system would present the same potential for this problem. I know of some who have done this and gotten away with it, and then there those that have been able to correct the problem with a repair installation of the operating system, and then there are those that have had to do a fresh installation. It's a craps shoot at best.

If these two motherboards aren't the same models, using the same drivers, you will need to install the different drivers.

Edited by dc3, 05 November 2010 - 10:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users