Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not powering up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shaseeb

shaseeb

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi,

The weirdest thing just happened. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop (A105-S4334) and I noticed that it was getting very hot and then it would just shutdown. I noticed that the fan was no longer running and hence the laptop probably was overheating and shutdown. So after doing some research online all the information I found was pointing to the fact that there was probably some dust stuck in the fan and vent. So I opened up the laptop (following directions) and cleaned out the fan. However, when I was opening the laptop, I accidentally pulled too hard on the keyboard connector and the latch came out. So basically I can't connect the keyboard anymore. So anyways I put everything back together (except the keyboard) and closed it up. I put the battery back in and when I went to power up the laptop, nothing happened. It just went dead. There is power going to the laptop through the battery, but it just won't power up. Does anyone know what could have happened? Do all the connectors have to be in place before it can come on again? I am completely lost.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

If the laptop wont power on you missed a connection somewhere or you fried a component with ESD (electro static discharge *spelling*) As for the keyboard where did the cable pull out from the motherboard or the keyboard?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

not sure what all you may have not connected or broke ,but the keyboard ribbon cable should still go back in to the slot even if you broke of the locking tabs like this in the link .
but that laptop should boot with out the keyboard plugged in i think
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2009/11/17/fix-broken-keyboard-connector-on-laptop-motherboard/

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 shaseeb

shaseeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

@Sneakycyber,

The keyboard connector came out just like caperjac mentioned in the link. So I guess the only way to put it back is tape it?

So how would I know or what can I do it ESD was the cause? What are my options?

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by shaseeb, 05 November 2010 - 01:47 PM.

#5 shaseeb

shaseeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

@caperjac,

THanks for the link. That is exactly my problem except both tabs broke (in the picture it shows 1 broken). Then I guess taping is the only solution? Can you buy those connectors anywhere?

Thanks.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

@caperjac,

THanks for the link. That is exactly my problem except both tabs broke (in the picture it shows 1 broken). Then I guess taping is the only solution? Can you buy those connectors anywhere?

Thanks.

not really sure where you could buy one ,i have actually broke a couple of them in my early days of messing with laptops and broke both tabs off one just like you and use a small dab of hot glue on bot side of it [ the electric gun type ] to hold it in ,customer is still using that laptop

Edited by caperjac, 05 November 2010 - 03:46 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

These connectors are called Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) connectors.

They are easy to find and purchase at well stocked electronics parts and supply stores. However, they are one pain in the neck to solder to the motherboard!

Not to go off your topic or concerns, I have been pain-stakingly been trying to replace a 60 conductor )ZIF connector on a Sony Play Station 3 motherboard for the Blue-Ray player, the locking clip was broken off.

So believe me when I say those connectors are hard to replace with-out the use of a microscope and soldering tools with ultra-fine soldering tips to avoid possible solder bridges. (Solder bridges are caused by molten solder spilling over onto adjacent connectors.

If you wanted to find such connectors, you can check out http://www.digikey.com and look for ZIF type connectors with the same number of connectors as the one you broke the flip lock off of.

It is my suggestion however, that you have the connector replaced professionally.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:10 AM

If you damaged a component from static electricity the only way to find out is to get the motherboard to POST (Power On Self Test). If you cant get the board to POST then its likely a problem with the motherboard or as I said earlier you missed a connection somewhere. It could also be a problem with your battery or your power adapter make sure both are working correctly, if the battery is damaged removing it from the laptop should allow it to run off the AC adapter.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users