Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wicom

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

Every so often,and there is no set time the CPU usage on my computer jumps to 25%.It normally runs about 1-2%.
I looked in Task Manager(Processes)and there seems to be a process called WICOM which is taking 25%.
I have tried to find out what WICOM is or does but without success.
If anybody has any thoughts on the matter please let me know.
I should add that if i reboot the CPU usage returns to normal and WICOM is not longer present in task manager.
Thanks and Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

Download following program and post its log, when the offending entry is present.

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:22 AM

Thanks Broni.
I already have Process Exp.on my computer not that i understand it.It just looked as if it was a useful tool to have and one day i would find what it was all about.
It looks as if i am about to find out.
I will not be using my computer for a week or so but i will get back to you at as soon as i can.
Thanks for your interest.
Regards

#4 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:30 AM

Broni.
Could you please explain how i attach the file.
Thanks

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

I can see, there is no attach option in this forum, so you can simply paste the log in your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Ha,Ha.
That's why i couldn't find it.
i will do it longhand when the problem next arises.
Broni.
While i am talking to you.
Some time ago you answered a problem i had regarding "Mail Recipient"not being present.The fix you gave me worked extremely well but every so often the problem returns and mail recipient disappears again.
I can easily run the fix you gave me but is there a permanent fix
Thanks

#7 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Download following program and post its log, when the offending entry is present.

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

#8 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

Broni.
Here is the file you require.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name Command Line
System Idle Process 0 74.45
Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls
System 4
smss.exe 292 Windows Session Manager Microsoft Corporation \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe 428 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation %SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,12288,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ServerDll=sxssrv,4 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16
wininit.exe 496 Windows Start-Up Application Microsoft Corporation wininit.exe
services.exe 552 0.39 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\services.exe
svchost.exe 680 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch
wlcomm.exe 1792 25.15 Windows Live Communications Platform Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe" -Embedding
WmiPrvSE.exe 4748 WMI Provider Host Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
nvvsvc.exe 796 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 258.96 NVIDIA Corporation C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
nvvsvc.exe 1284 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 258.96 NVIDIA Corporation C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe -session -first
svchost.exe 836 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k RPCSS
svchost.exe 932 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
svchost.exe 972 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
dwm.exe 1492 0.39 Desktop Window Manager Microsoft Corporation "C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe"
svchost.exe 1004 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe 1164 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
svchost.exe 1252 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
AvastSvc.exe 1340 avast! Service AVAST Software "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe"
spoolsv.exe 2476 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe 2520 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork
taskhost.exe 2548 Host Process for Windows Tasks Microsoft Corporation "taskhost.exe"
svchost.exe 2700 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation
iduServ.exe 2752 Service application for Intel® Desktop Utilities Intel® Corporation "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Desktop Utilities\iduServ.exe"
PsiService_2.exe 2944 PsiService PsiService Protexis Inc. "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exe"
svchost.exe 2972 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
TomTomHOMEService.exe 3020 Windows Service for TomTom HOME TomTom "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe"
WLIDSVC.EXE 3072 Microsoft® Windows Live ID Service Microsoft Corp. "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE"
WLIDSVCM.EXE 3232 Microsoft® Windows Live ID Service Monitor Microsoft Corp. WLIDSvcM.exe 3072
svchost.exe 3356 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k hpdevmgmt
SearchIndexer.exe 3400 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe /Embedding
svchost.exe 3812 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted
svchost.exe 2988 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k secsvcs
wmpnetwk.exe 3924 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe"
svchost.exe 4800 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k SDRSVC
OSPPSVC.EXE 5184 Microsoft Office Software Protection Platform Service Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPSVC.EXE"
lsass.exe 568 Local Security Authority Process Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe
lsm.exe 576 Local Session Manager Service Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
csrss.exe 504 0.39 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation %SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,12288,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ServerDll=sxssrv,4 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16
winlogon.exe 752 Windows Logon Application Microsoft Corporation winlogon.exe
explorer.exe 1516 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
RtHDVCpl.exe 1644 Realtek HD Audio Manager Realtek Semiconductor "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe" -s
AvastUI.exe 1688 avast! Antivirus AVAST Software "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe" /nogui
CloneCDTray.exe 1764 CloneCD Tray SlySoft, Inc. "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe" /s
SetPoint.exe 1776 Logitech SetPoint Event Manager (UNICODE) Logitech, Inc. "C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe" /launchGaming
KHALMNPR.exe 116 Logitech KHAL Main Process Logitech, Inc. KHALMNPR.EXE /API
GoogleQuickSearchBox.exe 1824 Google Quick Search Box Google Inc. "C:\Program Files\Google\Quick Search Box\GoogleQuickSearchBox.exe" /autorun
hpwuSchd2.exe 1908 Hewlett-Packard Product Assistant Hewlett-Packard Co. "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe"
iptray.exe 1976 Tray application for Intel® Desktop Utilities Intel® Corporation "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Desktop Utilities\iptray.exe"
jusched.exe 2036 Java™ Update Scheduler Sun Microsystems, Inc. "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
realsched.exe 448 RealNetworks Scheduler RealNetworks, Inc. "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
rundll32.exe 636 Windows host process (Rundll32) Microsoft Corporation "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" P17RunE.dll,RunDLLEntry
sidebar.exe 1112 0.39 Windows Desktop Gadgets Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe" /autoRun
AnyDVDtray.exe 1304 AnyDVD Application SlySoft, Inc. "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVDtray.exe"
GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 1468 GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc. "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
TomTomHOMERunner.exe 1736 System Tray application for TomTom HOME TomTom "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe"
hpqtra08.exe 2240 HP Digital Imaging Monitor Hewlett-Packard Co. "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe"
procexp.exe 4580 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com "C:\Users\Philip Brampton\Desktop\procexp.exe"

I spelt the name incorrectly.It looks like "MLCOMM"

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

I spelt the name incorrectly.It looks like "MLCOMM"

I don't see anything like that in your log.
I only see wlcomm.exe
Is that it?

As for your other question, I'd need to see a link to that topic.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

See here: <a href="http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/179/1/Restore-missing-Mail-Recipient-entry-to-the-Send-To-menu-in-Windows-Vista.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/179/...dows-Vista.html</a>
It should work on 7.

Broni
Here is the link you asked for
I will have to wait until the problem returns to check the exact spelling in task manager.I have no idea how long that will be as the problem is very intermittent.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

I can see, that wlcomm.exe is using 25.15% of your CPU cycles, which is not good.
wlcomm.exe is part of the Windows Live Messenger Contacts Server and it's known to be a resource hog.

Let's see, if it's set up as your startup.

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply (attachment issue has been just fixed, so you can do it now).

As for your other problem, try to redo the fix and see what happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Broni
Here is the AutoRuns file

Attached Files

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

I don't see it as a startup.
Are you doing something in particular, when wlcomm.exe process starts?
Like using Windows Live Messenger?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

No.nothing
I am just looking at my monitor and the CPU usage jumps to 25% There is no particular time that this happens not even every day just sometimes.
I don't have live Messenger
I have Windows Live Photo Gallery and Live Mail
Regards

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

I have Windows Live Photo Gallery and Live Mail

Are you using any of them now?
Is wlcomm.exe process listed in Task Manager now?

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users