Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

running WinXP on Win7 and can't install printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

I just bought a new laptop for someone and it has Windows 7 on it. But I ask to have Window XP installed overtop it since he's not used to Windows 7 and the transition would be too much for him (they couldn't just have Windows XP by itself because the hardware doesn't support it).

I seem to be having a problem installing the driver for his printer now, and I think it has something to do with the dual layers of operating systems.

Let me explain:

While inside Windows XP, I try to install the driver (I've made absolutely sure it's the right one) and I get to a stage where it tells me:

Step 1: plug the USB cable into the computer and the printer.
Step 2: Turn on the printer.
Step 3: Wait for the installation to continue.

Step 3 never happens. It just sits idle forever. I know it's responding to the printer because every time I turn it on/off, I get that "ding-dong" sound from the computer (also whenever I plug/unplug the cable when the printer is on).

After a few trials without success, I tried installing it on Windows 7. It worked.

I figure probably what happened was that upon turning on the printer, it was able to inform Windows 7 of its presence (because Windows 7 is the de facto OS), but this information failed to be relayed to the virtual Windows XP running on top of it.

Here's my question: now that I have it installed on Windows 7, is there some way I can go into Windows XP and inform it of the new driver and/or where it is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

Have you downloaded the Windows XP Drivers for this Printer?

It would help if you stated what kind of printer it is.

#3 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

In XP/Mode you have to connect usb devices by clicking on the USB tab top left corner of the XP/Mode desktop and select the printer from the drop down menu. you should see all the usb devices connected to the host PC, click on your printer and your found new Hardware Manger in XP/Mode should start up and find the drivers needed just follow instructions and install the new device drivers,after that it should work like normal,not sure but you might have to detach it (click on usb tab again) from XP/Mode before you can use it with your host PC again. Post back if this solves your problem or not. Cheers

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for your help. In the end, I resolved my problem by following this guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyId=62cd2e63-52f8-4cf5-a7d5-7abaab270451&displayLang=en

In particular, I followed the instructions under Scenario 3: Print from a virtual machine --> To install a printer driver in Windows XP

If this doesn't help others with the same problem, the above advice may help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users