Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen size display screwed up in DOS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have an older IBM Thinkpad, which has been operating just fine until recently.

It has Windows 98 on it and I use DOS WP51 wordprocessor on it.

All of a sudden, anything in DOS, such as the starting screens and the WP51 screen has become severely minimized to maybe about half their usual size.

I know there are DOS commands for MODE etc. but this appears to maybe be a BIOS change problem? It is annoying me no end and I have limited time to fool with it.

I know there has to be a quick answer to this question I just need the correct command.

By the way, this is only happening in a DOS program. The programs within Windows 98 which are windows based, do not display this problem.

Looking for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry711

Harry711

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Try creating a pif file on desktop to open DOS Command window. In pif properties, set window to full screen. Remember a DOS screen is only 80 char wide and 25 lines tall by default.

Edited by Harry711, 17 December 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Try creating a pif file on desktop to open DOS Command window. In pif properties, set window to full screen. Remember a DOS screen is only 80 char wide and 25 lines tall by default.

Harry, this is a great idea and may work. The only problem is I am not familiar with creating PIF files, although I know what they are.

Could you give me a b c instructions as to creating same?
Thanks

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

Right click on the icon tht youhave for the program & go to properties
Go to the screen tab & check full screen
Click OK

Its odd that all the MSDOS programs are doing that
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Right click on the icon tht youhave for the program & go to properties
Go to the screen tab & check full screen
Click OK

Its odd that all the MSDOS programs are doing that

Dear EYESEE, I know that procedure already and have tried it, but when I re boot
to DOS it does the same thing. I must mention that I have tried to have DOS boot to a menu which I designed which gives you options to go to wp51 in Dos or Windows 98....at first if you selected wp51, the menu would take you write to that program.
The screen was still a reduced size. I have tried everything, fiddling with the MODE command, lines commands etc. Can't get it to go back to full screen.

Lately, however, the boot doesn't stop at the menu in Dos. It proceeds to boot windows 98, which I don't want. Outside of deleting the whole disk and starting over again, it does not appear possible to separate the two.

Ive tried all the things in WIN98 about the screen size etc, but they don't work for wp51, which is a dos based wordperfect program.

I'm thinking of erasing the whole disk and installing a Linnux program to fiddle with that instead. What do you think?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

I used to use WP51 many moons ago.
Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying that if you reboot to pure DOS by restarting the computer in MS-DOS mode it does the same thing?
You are also saying that every DOS app now does this right?

From insode of 98 open WP51 (or any DOS app) and hit ALT-ENTER
See if that toggles it to full screen inside of 98.

#7 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

I used to use WP51 many moons ago.
Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying that if you reboot to pure DOS by restarting the computer in MS-DOS mode it does the same thing?
You are also saying that every DOS app now does this right?

From insode of 98 open WP51 (or any DOS app) and hit ALT-ENTER
See if that toggles it to full screen inside of 98.

Yes,you understand completely what the problem is. This is on an old T 33 IBM
Think pad, by the way, with windows 98 on it.

I will try your suggestion about Alt-Enter after opening WP51 in Win 98, however, right now I am in my vacation home, in Vermont for the Christmas holiday. The computer in question is one of the computers in my office.

For your information, I have been using WP51 dos version since 1992 and before, for all my office wordprocessing needs. I think it is a terrific program which outshines any of the point and click programs. I can do things quicker with keyboard commands than point and click windows any day. I have just tons of stuff on floppy disks and cds from this wp51 program, which I continue to use to this day. I am one of the remaining devotees of DOS in the country--mosts of us are older guys who learned DOS before Windows came out. Sad to way, Windows was a step down and continues that way to date.

I am also a champion of Linux, however, until recently, it was a bit quirkey and only for geeks, as opposed to semi geeks such as my self., Recent versions, however, are more easily used and IBM has advanced Linux in the marketplace. I am curious to see how DOS programs such as WP51 will run in Linux, however, I am told it is no problem. If that is the case, I will delete the whole disk on this computer, install Linux as the operating system and then install WP51. I will do anything to avoid microsoft programs which have sucked forever. I would use an Apple, but it is not compatible with most business applications and everything I have saved is in wp51. Which leads me to the question, how does WP51 dos version run in the Apple operating systems?

I have a feeling that it will not run well, however, suffer from lack of knowledge and defer to you who possess wisdom in this area!

Thanks. I will continue this story as it evolves for the benefit of those who read this blog.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

I know very little about Apples and doubt that it will work.

Im an old die hard DOS user myself. I loved it!
Once you mastered the syntax it was easy.
I cut my teeth on DOS 3.3, Wordstar, Word Perfect 5.1 and Lotus 123.
None of which ever crashed, locked up, or yielded a blue screen of death

Im curious, what printer are you using with WP51?
You would be hard put to find one that will work with it these days.

Just a thought, try loading the MODE command from the autoexec.bat file as follows and reboot:

MODE CON: COLS=80 LINES=50

Edit: Not that this should matter but is it 98 Second Edition?

Edited by Eyesee, 23 December 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#9 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Eyesee: You are right about printers which handle DOS wp51. I am using two older model Kyocera printers.....one is model 1750 and the other is , I believe a 1500 or something like that 15 something or other.

These are excellent printers with few problems and a very long life drum. I have been using them for years. These models will print DOS wp51. I purchased recently an updated Kyocera model, 1950, however, and they no longer will print DOS, which annoys me.

My advice, get one of these older Kyocera models. Look on line. You can get them, although they sell somewhat at a premium and cost almost what a new one would cost....but, the new ones will not print from a DOS program.

I do believe, however, that Kyocera makes the best printers available. I'm on my fifth one.

Prior to that, I used an older and much slower Okidata 400. Stupidly, I discarded two of them because they were slow...I should have kept them! If you can find one, it will work well also.

And you are certainly correct. WP51 DOS version NEVER crashes. In 20 years I have never had that happen to this program. It is the King of word processors, in my humble opinion. But, it's funny. My 23 year old son is so "addicted to Windows" that he
berates me for using such an "antiquated" program. I tell him it is twice as fast as the point and click programs, but, of course, he knows everything. I don't know why I even bother sending him to college....after all, what can a young man who knows everything possible learn in college?????

Just a thought, try loading the MODE command from the autoexec.bat file as follows and reboot:

#10 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Eyesee: You are right about printers which handle DOS wp51. I am using two older model Kyocera printers.....one is model 1750 and the other is , I believe a 1500 or something like that 15 something or other.

These are excellent printers with few problems and a very long life drum. I have been using them for years. These models will print DOS wp51. I purchased recently an updated Kyocera model, 1950, however, and they no longer will print DOS, which annoys me.

One more thing, Eyesee.....yes, it is win 98 second edition.

Bye
My advice, get one of these older Kyocera models. Look on line. You can get them, although they sell somewhat at a premium and cost almost what a new one would cost....but, the new ones will not print from a DOS program.

I do believe, however, that Kyocera makes the best printers available. I'm on my fifth one.

Prior to that, I used an older and much slower Okidata 400. Stupidly, I discarded two of them because they were slow...I should have kept them! If you can find one, it will work well also.

And you are certainly correct. WP51 DOS version NEVER crashes. In 20 years I have never had that happen to this program. It is the King of word processors, in my humble opinion. But, it's funny. My 23 year old son is so "addicted to Windows" that he
berates me for using such an "antiquated" program. I tell him it is twice as fast as the point and click programs, but, of course, he knows everything. I don't know why I even bother sending him to college....after all, what can a young man who knows everything possible learn in college?????

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

Let us know if the mode command works. The mode command is an external command so do one of the following so that the system can find it:

Either make sure that c:\windows\command is in the path statement preceeding the mode command
or
Change the syntax of the mode command by specifying the full path
c:\windows\command\mode.com CON: COLS=80 LINES=50

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

Can you show some screenshots of what the issue?

Also have you tried right clicking the title bar on the taskbar and gone to properties to see what is set?

Posted Image

See the width and height?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users