Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 580S PC Shutdown and Start up problems!!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dellta

dellta

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hi please help me with this Dell 580S PC. Main issue is it seems to shutdown normally but come time to power up more often then not it refuses to boot up cleanly. It doesnt reach post and CPU fan is running/screaming at constant high speed. I then have to turn it off by holding Power button for 5 secs. Again it either repeats this behaviour upto 3 times or it starts normally, sometimes in DOS with a screen with options to launch repairs or start windows normally! A normal boot will have CPU fan running at high speed burst for a few secs then steps down to lower speed accompanied with Dell logo then Windows starting up. I have come here in desperation and frustation hoping someone can help or steer me in right direction. History I bought from totally unprofessional store not working. I solved by replacing BIOS chip with new chip programmed with latest BIOS rev. AO6. It came with 6GB of Hynix FN2G1333DDR3 but I now run it with 4GB to enable Dual channel mode. I cannot verify from anyone to date the compatability of this RAM. It has no Dell part no.s usually starting with A. As it has no warranty Dell refuse to answer me. I do know from specs it should have 8500 freq RAM but this Hynix has 10600 freq. I have been to Ramcity and Crucial website and find that they do offer 100% tested Crucial branded 10600 freq RAM but wont verify if this Hynix is compatable. The Dell BIOS has no settings to configure RAM settings so have no way of modifying or confirming info. I set up RAM to run Dual Channel as from info its faster and better but some opinions differ so now am confused! I notice Dell sells these systems with 6GB but this makes PC runs at Single channel?? I dont understand this policy? I feel they are hiding a flaw but cant be certain, 6 BIOS revisions?! Im also contemplating reverting to an older BIOS? I notice my virtual disc memory set by Windows is at 39988MB but from info it should be 1.5 x 4GB = 59998MB?. I have tried the majority of utilities and troubleshooters but no success. I'ii leave it at that and pray for a solution. PLEASE HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

When was the last time you dusted out your computer?

#3 dellta

dellta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi crytodan thanks for response. As a new member I wasnt sure initially where to post but have this listed at internal hardware also. I looked for delete option but cant find. Anyway I have to ask your meaning of "dusted out"? Are you meaning the use of compressed air or similar inferring that inside PC case is dusty? PC is only 2 months old and I wouldnt describe as dusty? Please explain. Im in Australia so apologise for any delay. Im all ears and willing to perform any assisted troubleshooting/diagnosis to remedy this PC. Ive just allocated manually 6GB of virtual disc memory for C drive. I have drive partitioned into 4 primary partitions. 1) The MBR 2) C drive 3) D drive and 4) E drive. Is that the right way to partition the drive, ie not using extended volume? All programs and OS are on C. D and E are for storage and back ups. I just altered their virtual disk memory to be Windows system managed just out of curiosity! Is this OK to do? or should I revert back to no paging setting? Anyway Ill try stick to the main issue of using this Hynix RAM its compatability and configuration, Single or Dual channel? I used your Speccy application and noticed 5 to 6 degrees difference on my I3 CPU. One side was 27 degrees and other 33 degrees, is that OK? I was hoping someone might be able to read a dump file or system analysis and find problem. Im in the process of ordering new 4GB (2 x 2GB)RAM kit from Crucial to eliminate any notion of Hynix RAM being the culprit of continual shutting and starting up problems! Other things about my PC setup is I have new faster speed 1 TB WD Black HDD and use DVI-I output to a DVI-I to VGA convertor going into a Startech VGA to HDTV convertor going to my CRT Sony Hi Def TV running at 1080i. I output 1028 x 768 @ 60hz from PC to Startech scaler. I have ATI HD5450 grahic card and am using a Sony color profile from their FW90 monitor just for comparison. PC recognises my TV/Startech scaler as Generic VGA monitor as no EDD info is given. It has a card reader which is faulty and is disconnected until I replace. I replaced original 640GB HDD as found corrupt sector with above mentioned latest 1TB HDD. It was extremely noisy and replaced it under warranty the next day! Is this just badluck or highlighting something Im not aware. This is its 3rd HDD! I havent ruled out DVD drive or power supply. I'll shut up now. Any suggestions or advice most welcomed. cheers dellta

Edited by dellta, 05 November 2010 - 06:01 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

Remove the partitions and allow Windows to take up the entire drive along with your applications. Get an external hard drive for backups and allow Windows to manage the size of the Virtual Memory. You should not be messing with those settings.

What Hard Drives are you buying?

#5 dellta

dellta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi cryptodan I have reverted back to Systems managed and ticked Auto manage for all drives. It shows 3998 MB but aiso shows/recommends my previous setting of 5938 MB, Is this OK? I only started experimenting with Virtual memory settings 2 days ago as problem has been ongoing for over a month! I read that it should be 1.5 times installed RAM and changed it out of curiosity. It caused hanging while browsing here!! If you are definitely implying Removing all the Partitions will definitely solve 100% shutdown/start up issues please state this and I will remove them immediately. Do I need to remove the MBR partition as well and save/back up all data stored on C, D and E before I remove partitions? Im happy to fresh instal Win7 OS also if necessary!! I thought Partitions are GOOD things. Can you explain or send link to explain if possible why they arent? I do have another identical HDD to instal as backup if you highly recommend having 2 internal HDDs. Or preferably for now can I just use my DVD drive and burn to disc as back up till I get an external HDD? Please advise/recommend best economical way! I currently have a 1 TB WD Black HDD with 64MB cache. It was replaced under warranty the next day as was deemed faulty but that was over 1 month ago. They are inherently noisy due to being quicker. Originally came with WD Blue 640 GB which had corrupt sector. Note I have now just ordered new Crucial 10600 2 x 2GB kit to try and rectify/eliminate this still intermittent shutdown and start up issues that I have detailed. Hope I havent bought new RAM unnecessarily now!!! Im feeling all stupid now! Anyhow cheers dellta PS whats best time to catch you on here to avoid lengthy posts and solve quickly?

Edited by dellta, 05 November 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

If the current drive is faulty, then I would replace the drive.

#7 dellta

dellta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hi great to hear from you. Sorry I was updating my profile. Anyway you are misunderstanding about HDD. Its a Western Digital Black Caviar 1 TB HDD. It has been replaced. Im sorry if im all over the place. Ive been up all night on this website and had no sleep. I read your post about partitions and need some clarification. Other than its a 1TB drive and to give the whole HDD capacity to OS seems a waste however Im willing to remove them. I ran Speccy also and saw my Intel I3 CPU upto 37 degees celcius with one core reading 6 degees higher than other? With my HDD I saw 100 errors in the SMART test? Is this good or bad these findings. I also use USB Mobile Broadband. But Im wanting to know about RAM possibly causing shutdown and start up problems. Im happy to upload a Speccy or OTL info if needed or any other relevant info you require to get a better idea of my PCs problems. regards dellta

Edited by dellta, 07 November 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Can you post a public snapshot of speecy via File?

#9 dellta

dellta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Im not sure if this this is going to work. If not advise how to upload. Ive attached txt file I hope. Snapshot was refused ny Windows manager? regards dellta
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3dS3wceDGgGYIK1hl1PpySD

Edited by dellta, 07 November 2010 - 02:44 PM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Please remove the attachment and follow the following:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#11 dellta

dellta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hi crytodan just in case you didnt see I posted it above your last reply it worked. thank you. *Note The temperature of CPU is lower as PC is situated near gas heater which is off now. dellta

Edited by dellta, 07 November 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

So what drives were replaced, and which one is giving you the 100 smart test errors?

#13 dellta

dellta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi I replaced the original Dell HDD which was a Western Digital Blue Caviar 640 GB with the Western Digital Black 1000 GB 16 MB cache. The first WD Black HDD I bought was faulty as stated earler and replaced under warranty the next day, that was approx 1 month ago. They are generally noisy and you can hear it scratching away every couple of seconds. Im told they are noisy and sort of regret buying it as older type HDDs Ive had were quieter. Its apity I cant send an audio. I might take into store to have them verify its normal just in case it too is faulty. Of note when I did get replacement the tech said its normal to recieve a batch of faulty HDDs occasionally! The errors I posted before was actually 200 which you can see on Speccy. I also noticed looking at Speccy in Graphics under monitor beside State reports unsafe. Should I be concerned about that or nothing to worry about? regards dellta

Edited by dellta, 07 November 2010 - 03:34 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

What kind of scratching is it? Is it a metal on metal grinding? If it is then I would recommend backing up your data, and possibly investing in another brand for hard drives. I do not like Hitachi or Western Digital. I prefer and recommend Seagate.

#15 dellta

dellta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi its very hard to describe the noise. A muffled rasping/scratching/popping noise It ranges from a single pop/rasp to 3 or 4 or more every couple of secs at idle and increases when I use PC actively. It varies and it never ever really settles down. I will definitely take the PC into store I brought it from this morning to get their opinion and possibly replace if Im lucky with a Seagate. I bought it thinking this HDD being speedier will enhance PC. For the record the Windows Experience rates PC at 5.1 if that means anything! So does the Speccy show that there are definitely errors occuring on HDD as I can use as evidence to insist replacement!! regards dellta

Edited by dellta, 07 November 2010 - 04:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users