Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One blink and I'm out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Small Lady01

Small Lady01

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

I have a laptop (about 4 yrs old) It's in excellent shape for it's age. But here is the problem one night powered it down next day would not boot up.

It blinks once with the battery and ac adapter attached but nothing (no fan, no noise) I took out the battery and tried again with only the adapter. I got nothing.

Now I know it is not the cord because the charging light comes on when the battery is in but it won't power up.

So what to do? Do I buy a new battery or new board? How do I know if the battery is bad. I'm pretty sure this has been posted before but I have not found the thread for it. Plus I'm not sure if this is where I should post about this topic any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
"When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room."

Woody Allen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Given you tried it without the battery and nothing happened, it seems unlikely that the battery is the culprit but rather the adapter or motherboard.

#3 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:28 AM

Questions / Things to check:

1. Are there any lights on either the cord itself (specifically the power block that regulates the power) and are there any lights on the laptop that illuminate with the power cord plugged in but the battery removed. Also try unplugging the links of the power cord and plugging them back in together again once for good measure.

2. Do you, or have you smelled anything funny coming from the laptop, specifically close to a vent or where the power plug goes in? If it burned out or had a fault you would smell Ozone or a light burning smell.

3. Check the area where the plug goes into the laptop. Visibly check to see if any prong(s) are moved to the side or anything appears out of order. Also check by plugging the adapter in, it should be snug and fit just right. If it is at all loose or wobbly, it may have added to the problem.

4. You could try getting a hold of a universal power adapter and giving it a try. Most retailers that work on PCs usually have one behind the counter for laptops, you may wan to see if they can let you use it just for a quick test.

I'm honestly more in agreement with Bradumd, I think either there is a problem with the motherboard inside the laptop, or there is a problem with the power flow from the adapter to the battery, and adapter to the laptop itself. Not at all an easy or quick fix. But it can be fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users