Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Freeze at "Starting Windows"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ColonelSDx

ColonelSDx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

Specs:
SONY VAIO VGN-NW180J
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Norton Security Suite, MBAM, Spybot Search&Destroy
No additional peripherals or after-market hardware.
-Any other information, I can't remember or get onto my computer to see.

Issue:
Earlier today I was at work when I got a text from my boyfriend. He said that the sound on my laptop wasn't working. If I was home, I would've reinstalled the driver before I tried anything else. Computer said "Sound not working" and he clicked "Troubleshoot". He said the drivers and stuff were working fine, so he tried to restart. On restart, the computer loads normal until it reaches "Starting Windows" screen. After observing the screen for the past 4 hours or so trying to find information to fix it, I can tell you the windows flag logo is still pulsing.

I already tried restarting the computer in safe mode, it froze then as well. I tried the hardware scanner/repair when you hit F10 during startup. Tried them a few times each, still nothing. I can't seem to find anything that will help me, and I wasn't the one that did it to know the steps that brought it to this point. The only posts I can google on anything even related is during installation of Windows 7. I've had Win7 Installed for almost a year now, and have never encountered a problem like this. I would attempt startup from the disk, but, sadly, my disk has long since disappeared. I haven't had any history of malicious software/viruses/trojans/spyware since I got the laptop.

I can't think of a single other thing to try, and I'm slowly losing patience. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do that could possibly avoid restoring my computer...? I really need help, here.

Thanks everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zilog

zilog

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

Try a system restore using your Windows 7 DVD.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

Try a system restore using your Windows 7 DVD.

I would attempt startup from the disk, but, sadly, my disk has long since disappeared.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

Any USB Devices plugged it?

#5 ColonelSDx

ColonelSDx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

(Sorry for delayed reply)
I make sure whenever I try to start it, there's nothing but the power cord plugged in, and occasionally not even that.
I've been encountering a lot more grief with the computer in the past 48 hours. We got the computer back on and it was working fine after we left it off/unplugged for a few hours. But last night, one of our friends unknowingly shut it off, and now no matter what I try and how patient I am, I can't get it to start back up.
A tech friend of mine suggested Hiran's Boot CD and I've been playing around with that for the past 6-7 hours. Sometimes I seem to get somewhere and then it crashes again.
I DID, however, find my Windows 7 CD(s). Not that they help much...
My laptop was originally a Vista that I got a free upgrade to 7. So I guess you could say I don't actually have a Windows 7 disk. It's an Upgrade disk along with a companion DVD. They're not helping in the least bit.

I found the plug to my External Hard Drive and I attempted a try at saving important files through the "Rescue Files" process in the Win7/Vaio Recovery screen. .... That crashed after about 1.5 minutes with an error. I can give screenshots or pictures if needed. It just hinted that a process could not be executed and that I should jump off a tall building. I was going to salvage what I could and do a clean factory sweep of my computer; something I wanted to avoid, But I'm running out of options here.

Can ANYONE shed some light on what in god's name is wrong with my system?! T___T;

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:17 AM

Yes provide the pictures and screenshots as it would provide more light on the issue at hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users