Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about primary partition on the HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boy33

boy33

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

I have vista on a laptop & I have attached a GIF of the drive map, where you can see that the HDD has 4 primary partitions. I want to turn one of those into an extended part'n so as to set up logical drives in it & create a dual-boot config'n. The C: drive is there & has vista plus my stuff (92 gb). The other 3 part'ns - I don't know what they are - can you tell? The one on the far right of the Disk 0 map (the 5th square on the right) - is 5.64 gb, 100% free space & not NTFS. What is it for?

Can I change its entry in the part'n table to extended (x05 part'n type code)? Will I then lose what is there?

Note that I have already shrunk C: drive & created 43.5 gb of unallocated space. That is where I want to install another OS. Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

Can you take a better picture? It is rather unreadable.

#3 boy33

boy33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

if u cannot view the pic, try this link: http://gwpblg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p2rYWRo2cK9JbG968aPiAbeUGU6BHg-myTEGWX3CQh84BpBW3GDaBequH1HXjWrk41jAFJzc5eJg2xuHgZD3NqWKVtF0e336b/vista.part.shrink.map.jpeg?psid=1

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Its probably the system restoration partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users