Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How good are 775 processors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jon51

jon51

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

Hello all,

I just have a question that is quite interesting (to me at least). I am still kicking around an upgrade computer and found some amazing suggestions from this forum. My question is: Why in the hell is the cheapest 775 quad core as much as a AMD 955 Black edition? the cheapest quad core 775 is $149.
and only $30 cheaper than and i5 750.
(newegg prices)
Is it an availability thing cause it just doesn't make much sense to me. I know Intel is always more expensive but these prices have never gone down it seems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

Quad cores are generally a waste unless your programs can use the extra cores. Most games are only written for dual cores. CAD and huge photoshop work takes advantage of the quad core.

AFAIK the only big game that uses the quad core is GTA IV.

Tom's Hardware and a bunch of other sites I go to generally recommend you to get a higher end dual core and OC it at your whim.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Quad cores are generally a waste unless your programs can use the extra cores. Most games are only written for dual cores. CAD and huge photoshop work takes advantage of the quad core.

AFAIK the only big game that uses the quad core is GTA IV.

Not anymore. Many newer games benefit from 3+ cores. That argument goes out the window if you are talking a faster dual vs a slower quad, but if all cores are the same speed, then quads win.

775 CPUs are about as cheap as they will get. They are no longer made/EOL. Laws of supply and demand apply. I deal with this when repairing older systems where old boards/CPUs are insanely priced.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

the LGA 775 was/is a very good socket, I have a System with a LGA 775 board and Pentium D that I use for linux testing, and there are a wide variety of CPUs around that are good CPUs for it, However, since it isnt made anymore they are a little harder to come by, and since they are old technology, don't expect it to perform like the new i7s in the 1366 socket-it just isn't going to happen. If your looking for cutting edge performance, don't mess with this socket-if your just looking for a cheap upgrade to a socket that supports quad core, but don't necessarily need cutting edge performance, if you can get your hands on a cheap 775 board and a core2quad for a fair price, it wouldn't be a bad investment.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Yeah I was just browsing for my potential parts I want for my new system and just out of curiosity looked at the 775 and was shocked at how expensive they still were. If they were a bit cheaper my current system could benefit from an upgrade instead of a completely new system but with those prices it isn't really cost effective.

I'm just hoping when the new Intel series comes out that i7 motherboards and CPU's drop but I doubt it <_<

1366 is still way too expensive for me to justify having at the moment but I also don't really want to buy into 1156 if 1366 will come down in price.

Do you guys think there will be a significant drop in 1366 prices with the new CPU's coming out??

Thanks,
Jon

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

Its hard to say, a lot of it depends on demand. I imagine they will a bit, but I doubt it will be extravagent at least not for awhile. They will drop as long as they are still producing them-the phase out period-but once they stop making them that could be a different story. Could be, some times things are finnicky, Ive noticed other parts, like video card prices will drop, yet memory will get higher (notice, ddr went up when ddr2 came out, and ddr2 dropped and dropped till DDR3 came out then it skyrocketed) So its hard for me to say.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users