Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mapping a network drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Opieman

Opieman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Here is my story:

Once upon a time I had two computers both running windows XP service pack 3 on one network, my laptop uses a wireless connection and my tower uses a wired connection. At one time I had happy little mapped drive on my tower to connect to the C: drive of my laptop so I could mooch files. When it didn't work one day I disconnected the mapped drive in an effort to fix it. So, logically, I went back to try to Map the drive and clicked on the appropriate area in the menubar of My Computer. A convenient window pops up for me to select the drive letter that I would like to assign and a folder that I would like to map. I click browse because it is easier to not move my other forearm. So I click "+Entire Network" "+Microsoft Windows Network" then "+MSHOME" which is my workgroup name. The only thing that shows up is my tower, which is the computer I happen to be working from. My Laptop's name is not in the list. "Interesting," I say.

I then go to the laptop and am curious to know if it is just being prudish with my tower and asserting its superiority. I try to map a drive from my tower onto my laptop. Using the same browse technique as to not strain any muscles, I find my tower sitting there ready to be entered willing to map any drive my laptop desires. "Hm." So I decide to use some of my limited knowledge of the command prompt and see if I can muster of some kind of response from my laptop via the tower.

After some pings from my tower to my laptop I find that the first one or two pings usually Time Out, but the rest connect and respond. A ping from my laptop to my tower responds promptly with all responses.

Net View responds with
"\\Tower" from the tower and the laptop.

So after an hour of Googling I found no answer that worked. Both computers are in the yard disassembled thinking about what they have done. When I put them together I will need some help figuring this out, any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

Have you changed or update your firewall software in any way since the original mapping? Often updates or new firewalls will block some network connections. I would try to turn off the firewall on the laptop to see if it can be accessed on the network. If so reboot and then reenable the firewall If that once again blocks the connection you will have to dig throught the settings in order to allow connections on the IP range of your router.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Vonnegut

Vonnegut

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

If you assign the laptop a static IP and map a drive the the ip like
\\10.10.10.1\c$
Can you get to it? Maybe you changed a password on the laptop that the drive was using to connect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users