Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open browsers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 misssbb

misssbb

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

Have Vista Home Basic on a Dell Latitude D620.

You guys helped me with that google redirect problem, thank you, but this is even worse.

When I go to open Firefox, Explorer etc they just won't open, the computer freezes, and I have to do a hard shut-down, can't even do it from the Start menu. Have been able to open Opera in Safe Mode only. VERY tech savvy friend downloaded Safari and imported all my Firefox bookmarks, then went to reinstall Firefox but it won't let him because it says you have to close it first.

He went to Task Manager and did everything to end the process or whatever it's called, but it didn't work. How can it say it's open when it's not open and even if it was, you can't close it with Task Manager? Have lost count of the number of times I've rebooted, all hard shutdowns.

He's at his wits end, this is the first time he hasn't been able to fix something.

Early this morning ran Spyware Terminator and it found something called BHO Crawler, a few of them. I got rid of them, have no idea when or how I got them, but now nothing works. Later on ran Iobit, Advanced System Care and ESET, but all they came up with were some tracking cookies.

Please help, I'm desperate. I work from home and do everything on the computer. I'm out of business if this can't be fixed.

Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

I would like to add, that according to the Programs menu, there are two Firefoxes in there, so something is definitely wrong with that. Also, according to Task Manager, the CPU usage is below 5% but Physical Memory is only 18%. I have no idea what this means, but usually Physical Memory is over 50%. Can only use computer in Safety Mode. Also can't print anything, and the little notice says to go to Settings in the Start menu, but I don't have Settings on my Start menu. Have tried looking for it every way else I can think of, but can't find it.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me with this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users