Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD install with HDD as info/software storage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geewhizz

Geewhizz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

Have built a system as a gamer using win7 64bit using gigabyte mb with gigabyte video, 8 gb ddr3, ssd is ocz 30 gb as c:, 2 TB hdd as supplemental. Already installed win7 on c: and working. I want to be sure all else I install will go into X: drive and work properly. Have not built raid but will later. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

Are you referring to X drive as your SSD or the 2TB drive.

By default all installed programs will load to the OS drive. Some will give the option to do a custom install. Change features installed, directory installed to.

#3 Geewhizz

Geewhizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:29 AM

Yes, I guess it should have been a small x. That is for the optional first HDD. y: is the second.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

So you are saying you do not want programs installed to C:.

My suggestion then is to create a, example D:\Program folder. Then remember to point the install to that folder. This should work with most programs.

However, some may need to be on C: Also while programs should work with no problem following your plan, be aware they may launch slightly slower. This id due to their interaction with Win 7, it system files, the registry, which is all contained on the C: drive.

I have set up several XP machines in this manner with minimal problems other then those mentioned. I have yet to attempt it on Win 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users