Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Not connecting properly

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 msmith31

msmith31

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

So I have been having problems with my internet connection. Here are the details.

-Firstly, I am using Windows 7.
-I am on a college campus Wireless network using WPA.
-my wireless card is a DW 1520 Wireless-N Half-mini card.

-When the internet stops working, it indicates that I still have a strong wireless connection.
-In the Network and Sharing Center, the Graphic representation shows a red 'x' between Multiple networks and the Internet.
-in the wireless network connection status window, it shows that the computer is still sending and receiving data.
-Looking now, while the internet is working, that window shows sent/received activity around 2mil/7-9mil bytes.
-When the internet is NOT working it showed sent/received activity around 5mil/70mil.

-I recently updated the BIOS but this problem occurred before that as well. It is relatively infrequent and unpredictable.
-I checked for my wireless cards driver updates and they are up to date.
-My room mate does not have this problem. he checked while my internet was not working. So it is a problem with my computer.
-I lose internet connection with my browsers(firefox and chrome) and skype.

When i Started writing this I had to disable/enable my wireless card 3 or so times because the internet kept going out. Now it is fine. If it is a hardware problem or a virus, i want to fix it. anyone have any ideas what is causing this and any suggestions of how to fix it?

-----
So The internet just quit again.

-I placed my computer on top of a chair that might cause heat to build up more.
-I plugged it into the tv using a VGA cable
-I began playing a video
-I plugged the computer in.
-The temp was around 53C after it stopped. i checked it just before and it varied in the 40's.

My fan had stopped working for a while and my computer was idling around 60C for a few weeks when it was on.It was supposedly fixed by a bios update but it doesn't seem to be blowing as hard as it used to. Is it possible that the heat may have caused damage to the hardware?

Edited by msmith31, 03 November 2010 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users