Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba A100 Satellite laptop infected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tullamore

Tullamore

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

I have been having Google misdirect issues. Hitman Pro 3.5 picked up syntp.sys as a trojan on my laptop which has a touchpad below the keyboard. I reloaded touchpad drivers from the Toshiba website without first removing the program "Synaptics pointing device driver" in the add/remove program section of Windows XP. Result was the keyboard and touchpad not working but USB mouse still functioning. Seemed to clear up misdirect issue when using google and the mouse Restored computer to prior state where everything is now working and syntp.sys trojan is present based on Hitman scan. As well on checking the device drivers I noticed the presence of (cmd vmkd) Virtual Bus with an "i" enclosed in a yellow circle opposite it in the directory. I understand from blogs that this is an issue.

I also have Symantec Antivirus installed and on checking the folders, I see that it recently quarantined a file called "vbmaefc.sys" - Hacktool Rootkit.

Any help you can give me to clear this up would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users