Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 2003 from a bootable USB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brapster

brapster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hey y'all.

I have been trying to install Windows 2003 from my USB pen drive and have been unsuccessful so far. There are ways to install Windows XP/VISTA/7 out there, and I have used them, but I can't find a way to install W2Kx. Some of the methods I used:

1. Talk about using the bootsect.exe /nt52 command, which did not work. [ nt52 is used for 2003 from what I gathered ]
LINK:http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

2. Another method involved using a freeware which the author claimed was very successful.
LINK: http://www.windowsvalley.com/install-windows-2000xp2003-using-usb-storage-device-pen-drive/

The rest of the methods are offshoots of these two methods. I am currently trying to make my USB bootable using a freeware called "UNetbootin" (dled it from sourgeforge) and hopefully it works.

But, what I want to know is how make a USB bootable for installing WIN2Kx using the command line interface. BTW, I use Windows7.

any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by brapster, 03 November 2010 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

*bump* anyone?

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

If you are using the USB to be a bootable device once it is setup it doesn't matter what operating system you are running.....

You need a few things...
1. The computer you are trying to do the install on needs to support booting from USB and you should set that as the first option in the BIOS.

2. Obviously you need to make the USB bootable. There are a multitude of programs available for this but here is another option: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_ultimate_usb_toolbox?page=0,5
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users