Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hl-dt-st Rw/dvd Gcc-4481b Drive Not Reading Or Writing -- Need Driver?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hotshot309

hotshot309

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hi,

My user's computer is an HP Compaq D510 or D530 (not sure which, and I can't check at the moment). The CD/DVD-RW drive is an HL-TS-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B. The user doesn't know if it ever worked, because he never tried using it before. When you put in a CD, it tries to read it for a while and then fails. When you double-click on the CD drive (under XP Pro), it seems to read the drive's contents as empty (i.e., it doesn't give you error messages like "please insert a disc," or anything--it just shows an empty window). Normally, when you try to explore or view the CD contents, Windows Explorer freezes up until the drive quits trying.

It's an IDE drive, by the way. I made sure the power and ribbon connections were firmly in there, and I checked Device Manager. It thinks the device is working properly (never was an exclamation point there to indicate a problem). I uninstalled the drive and then rebooted and let XP find the new hardware. It did, but I never got the "Your New Hardware is Ready to Use" dialog--I guess it only does that if it automatically installs a driver? The CD/DVD drive again appeared to be working properly in Device Manager. I tried to update the driver by having Windows automatically find the correct driver, but it could not be found.

The best I've been able to do in terms of finding a driver online is find this page on HP's Web site, which refers to the HDLS (not HL-TS-ST) GCC-4481B. It may work, but I don't want to try it until I'm more certain:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...item=pv-28110-1

Any ideas? Also, I noted that the diskette drive (on the same ribbon cable) does work, but slowly...and the user complains that opening up My Computer is slow. I checked for processes running in the background and didn't find anything suspicious. I have no idea. Help if you can.

Thanks,
Hotshot309

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:21 PM

If Dev Manager sees the device and says that it's functioning properly, it's probably not a driver problem, but getting the latest drivers couldn't hurt.

What's the simplest troubleshooting method you know? Yep, it's time to swap that opto drive for another drive that's known to be working and then try the questionable drive in a known, working computer to see if the problems follow.

#3 hotshot309

hotshot309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, Saxif. I probably will end up replacing the drive. Firmware updates, like the one I found (and I think it is the correct one) generally shouldn't be used to fix problems with drive reading and recognition, unless they are specifically meant for that. And I don't believe there is a special driver for it--just Microsoft's generic one. It's most likely a bad CD/DVD drive. Many other people have had problems with this one, I see.

#4 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

Well, that's one way to go. I just meant to take a drive from another computer and try that. I don't know about you, but I have a couple of computers laying around, so I can generally borrow devices for purposes of troubleshooting. That's all I was suggesting there. :thumbsup:

Even though DVD drives are dirt cheap compared to what they used to cost, there's no real reason to spend the cash unless you're sure the problem is with the drive and not something else on the computer, so please, test that drive first.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

Also, I noted that the diskette drive (on the same ribbon cable) does work, but slowly...

Unless you are talking about a ZIP drive, there's something wrong there. A Floppy disk should never be on the same cable as an optical drive. If it is a ZIP, disconnect it temporarily and see if it makes a difference. Make sure both devices are not set the same way i.e. both 'master' or both 'slave'.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 hotshot309

hotshot309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:39 AM

Hi Rimmer,

Maybe I'm a dolt. This system is at my job, and I may not be able to get back to it (found out that I don't have the clearance to go to the machine unsupervised, so probably a coworker will finish up with this problem). However, you may very well be right, and I might have looked at it wrong when I opened up the case. I am by no means used to messing around with hardware.

My coworker also said the floppy drive (which I know for sure was a floppy drive and not a zip drive) should not be on the same cable as the CD/DVD drive. So perhaps it wasn't.

If it's still applicable, I can have someone check that the jumper settings are correct on the two drives on whatever cable it was on. Or was it settings in the BIOS (master and slave) that you were referring to?

Hotshot309

#7 hotshot309

hotshot309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:42 AM

Saxif,

I was just judging by the way things work at my job that the drive will probably get replaced before someone takes it out of the user's computer and then tests it. It's certainly not my computer, or I would definitely do just what you said. Your advice definitely makes sense, and I can try that, assuming the master/slave configuration is correct, if they'll let me take the time to do it.

Hotshot309

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:53 AM

Yes it was physical jumper settings I was talking about. There are none for a floppy drive though.
I'm guessing that DVD R/W is just cactus, they die with extraordinary frequency. If it is on it's own on an IDE cable then just change it out.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:30 AM

You can't physically put a Floppy drive on the same cable as any other drive due to the size of the connecter. Have you tried using a CD cleaner? They are cheap and can be used in any device that runs a CD so if it doesn't solve the problem it certainly won't go to waste. I've fixed a few optical drives this way.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 Yes...

Yes...

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

I also have a defunct gcc-4481B. It reads DVDs fine, but randomly messes up regular data and audio cds, even when windows isn't loaded up. Sometimes it works after trying several times, sometimes it reads mostly fine the first time. Burning cds works with the lower speeds, now, but I will get errors for writing at top speed (48x?), which I used to be able to do fine. The random read error problems started happenning about the same time when I unplugged and re-plugged the drive back in (temporarily replaced it with a hard-drive). The only thing I noticed is that it seemed to work better as a slave with nothing on the master. I took it apart and put it back together and cleaned the lens, and upgraded the firmware, but it is still the same... :thumbsup:
Cheap compaq presario...

#11 superzeus

superzeus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

My user's computer is an HP Compaq D510 or D530 (not sure which, and I can't check at the moment). The CD/DVD-RW drive is an HL-TS-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B. The user doesn't know if it ever worked, because he never tried using it before. When you put in a CD, it tries to read it for a while and then fails. When you double-click on the CD drive (under XP Pro), it seems to read the drive's contents as empty (i.e., it doesn't give you error messages like "please insert a disc," or anything--it just shows an empty window). Normally, when you try to explore or view the CD contents, Windows Explorer freezes up until the drive quits trying.

It's an IDE drive, by the way. I made sure the power and ribbon connections were firmly in there, and I checked Device Manager. It thinks the device is working properly (never was an exclamation point there to indicate a problem). I uninstalled the drive and then rebooted and let XP find the new hardware. It did, but I never got the "Your New Hardware is Ready to Use" dialog--I guess it only does that if it automatically installs a driver? The CD/DVD drive again appeared to be working properly in Device Manager. I tried to update the driver by having Windows automatically find the correct driver, but it could not be found.

The best I've been able to do in terms of finding a driver online is find this page on HP's Web site, which refers to the HDLS (not HL-TS-ST) GCC-4481B. It may work, but I don't want to try it until I'm more certain:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...item=pv-28110-1

Any ideas? Also, I noted that the diskette drive (on the same ribbon cable) does work, but slowly...and the user complains that opening up My Computer is slow. I checked for processes running in the background and didn't find anything suspicious. I have no idea. Help if you can.

Thanks,
Hotshot309

HI there,

I've had the same problem with my combo drive. After the driver update process, everything was just fine.

I downloaded the driver update from the driverguide website (you need to register; send me email to get it directly; file size 931.7 KB ) link:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...driverid=662962

Procedure

1 - Then, i made sure that no application is running.

2- in the unzippzed file (there is a hex file and an exe file) i clicked on the exe file

3- it asked me to browse-locate the hex file

4- I went to the folder where i unzipped the driver update and chose the hex file

5- then i clicked on the update button

6- after two minutes, the update is done and the driver works just fine.

I hope the explanation is quite clear and this suggested solution will work for you.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Edited by superzeus, 05 May 2007 - 08:31 AM.

#12 hotshot309

hotshot309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

My initial question was a long time ago at a job I don't work at anymore, but I will keep your recommendations in mind for the future. In the end, I don't remember whether we replaced the drive...I no longer had control of the situation at that point, and then I got laid off.

Thanks for your responses, though.

Hotshot309

#13 darkangel_10

darkangel_10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hi Superzeus and the rest of the members.This is my very first post.The site is doing a great job by helping a few confused techies like me :thumbsup: keep up the good work guys.

Superzeus..I need your help badly.I hope you get to see this reply and help me out.My user's computer is an HP Compaq D330m .The CD/DVD-RW drive is an HL-TS-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B. I tried getting the driver from driverguide.com but like you mentioned it needs to be registerd...Would really appreciate your kind gesture..Want to thank you in advance for lending a helping hand to guys like me.Keep up the good work and thanks a ton once again.

Darkangel_10

Mod Edit: Personal email address removed to protect member privacy.

Edited by quietman7, 09 December 2007 - 09:58 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

Just a note to darkangel 10...it probably would be smarter to communicate such requests by sending emails to the person's forum mailbox or by using some other form of member communication...as opposed to posting your email on the Internet.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users