Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and wireless mouse - A sordid tale

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phlimm

Phlimm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

I have a brand new Acer laptop with Windows 7 installed. I am using a wireless mouse with fresh batteries. At (usually) seemingly random times, the mouse will just stop working. No movement, no right or left clicks, no wheel response. The only thing I can do when it happens is use the touchpad or remove and reinsert the mouse receiver or reboot. Sometimes, doing the receiver trick works, sometimes it doesn't. I have moved it to all 4 USB ports and it acts the same on all of them.

While one would point at the hardware usually, I am thinking it is a software thing because it is almost reproducible in regard to the content I am accessing at failures - whenever I try to watch video such as YouTube content or Netflix, there is a high likelihood of mouse failure. The same applies to embedded flash games or videos. The fact that it is responding to video like this makes me think software. But it will also fail at other times, not just when I am using videos.

I have already searched for the latest drivers and Windows says the latest are already installed. I tend to believe this because the mouse is made by (wait for it) Microsoft and I like to think that they know what they are doing in this regard (hopefully).

I have googled and tried all the stuff I found with those results and with Windows help file and the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles and all the Intellipoint stuff as well. No luck anywhere. Does anyone else experience this or know what to do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

System Info -
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD Athlon II Dual Core
4 GB RAM

Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse
Model #1023
Driver: Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint) - 06/29/2010, Version 8.0.219.0

Edited by Phlimm, 02 November 2010 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

I suppose I will ask the obvious question first, which is: have you tried a different mouse?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

Do you have any cordless or other wireless devices near by.

#4 Phlimm

Phlimm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

Do not have any other wireless mouses to try really. But on a different system, using a different wireless mouse on Windows 7, I did encounter the same issue. That laptop is a work PC and I ended up switching to a corded mouse.

Don't have any other wireless devices nearby (within 3 feet) other than the built in wireless LAN in the laptop.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

The only two things that come to my mind that you may have already tried.

1)Disable Windows from shutting of the USB ports via Device Manager > each USB Root Hub > Properties > Power Management tab.
2)Some wireless mice have a synchronize button, usually on the bottom. When the mouse has not been used for x amount of time, pressing this button may solve the problem.

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

I had a similar problem with, yes, a Microsoft video cam. It would run using its own software but could not be used for IM or Skype. I started to suspect that the autorun quirk for non-drive USB devices was giving me grief. I found a Vista tweak, holding down the shift key while plugging in the device, and I have not had any trouble with it since.

As far as the quality of Microsoft products goes, all the letters rubbed off two rather expensive Microsoft keyboards. Very annoying!!!

#7 Phlimm

Phlimm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

The only two things that come to my mind that you may have already tried.

1)Disable Windows from shutting of the USB ports via Device Manager > each USB Root Hub > Properties > Power Management tab.
2)Some wireless mice have a synchronize button, usually on the bottom. When the mouse has not been used for x amount of time, pressing this button may solve the problem.

I checked the USB Root Hub settings and that setting is already off for all of them. This does not happen when the mouse is idle. Most of the time it will happen while I am using the mouse, especially if I start playing embedded video such as on YouTube. All of a sudden the cursor will stop moving and it will be offline. Sometimes the connection light goes off, sometimes it stays on. Pressing the resync buttons does no good at all. So far the only thing that works is swapping the receiver out to a different USB port or rebooting. And even those are not 100% fixes.

I had a similar problem with, yes, a Microsoft video cam. It would run using its own software but could not be used for IM or Skype. I started to suspect that the autorun quirk for non-drive USB devices was giving me grief. I found a Vista tweak, holding down the shift key while plugging in the device, and I have not had any trouble with it since.

I'll give this a try and let you know if it does any good. Thanks for the tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users