Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

this a mess on my boot loader, please help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

I just finished reinstalling XP on one of my two hard drives in my PC (each running XP). At first, the pc was only booting one XP installation. I started messing with the recovery console to use the bootcfg option, and tried to add the two XP installations. Now I got this mess:

Microsoft XP home edition
Microsoft XP home edition

Now I have 4 XP to choose from on my boot list, when I only want to boot to two XP. I tried deleting the entries with /REBIULD, but no luck. What can I do to simply fix this? Is there just a way to simply reset the boot loader and add the two XP installations?

Edited by djvic87, 02 November 2010 - 08:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

You can try this. start button > run > type msconfig > OK. Go to the BOOT.INI tab. Click Check All Boot Paths.

I am curious how many times XP is actually installed.

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 November 2010 - 09:04 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

You can try Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

Louis

#4 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

When I type msconfig, I don't see the BOOT.INI tab. I think it's because it's home edition. I only have two xp installtions.

EDIT: I just went into the other XP partition, and I was able to get the BOOT.INI,But when I click on check all paths, it says that everything is ok. What I simply did was did a mess with entering the load identifier, etc. I just simply want to remove the 1 and 2, which is basically a repeated XP installation entry.

Edited by djvic87, 02 November 2010 - 09:22 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

So one is XP Home and the other is what? Really not sure why the tab is not showing. I`m not aware of any different versions of msconfig. That one has it and one does`t.

You should be able to manually edit the BOOT.INI < Do with caution.

#6 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Can you show me how to exactly edit the boot.ini? All I want to do is remove the 1, and 2 entry. For some reason I think that it is so limited with xp home edition

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

In My computer go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab. Place a dot in Show hidden files and folders, also remove the check mark from Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Then perform a Search on the drive in question for boot.ini with Search system folders and Search hidden files and folders checked selected.

It should be located in C:\Windows. Open it up in notepad. Carefully eliminate the unwanted entries. Make sure to save changes. Close everything out. Restart the PC.

#8 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

In My computer go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab. Place a dot in Show hidden files and folders, also remove the check mark from Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Then perform a Search on the drive in question for boot.ini with Search system folders and Search hidden files and folders checked selected.

It should be located in C:\Windows. Open it up in notepad. Carefully eliminate the unwanted entries. Make sure to save changes. Close everything out. Restart the PC.

Ok, so before I delete an entry, how exactly should I delete it? Just erasing the one line that displays the one I don't want?

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hi-lite and delete it. Or carefully delete one character at a time.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

The second illustration shows how a dual-boot with Win 2K should look. A dual-boot with 2 XP installations will just reflect another XP rather than Win 2k.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users