Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't install visual c redistributable, or directx 9.0c, can't update - security update for visual c++, system update readiness etc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mackerman

mackerman

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi. I don't know what has happened but my pc is running strangely recently. For example, I can't install the visual c redistributable (vcredist.exe), or directx 9.0c, and some games don't work which did a while ago - now they crash to the desktop. I haven't got a restore which fixes the problem. It is all a bit strange.
I've got windows 7 64 bit on a Dell vostro - i7 860, 4g ram etc.
I've tried microsoft security essentials, all manner of spyware removers including spyware search & destroy to no avail.
What should be the next step in investigating this?
Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

Microsoft Windows 7 already has DirectX 11, so installing version 9 will always fail and is useless. It also has VC++ redistributable 2005 and 2008. The latest version which is not included on Windows 7 is VC++ 2010 redistributables which you should install (but very few games are designed in VC++ 2010 today).
When games fail, they create a crash report or log. You should go through them and try to find the possible cause. What message do games show when crashing?
Check Event Viewer to find the possible cause of crashing of a game.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

Microsoft Windows 7 already has DirectX 11, so installing version 9 will always fail and is useless.

This is not true, what the DirectX 9 installer does it makes sure that directx files and versions required for games to run are installed. On any given machine you maybe missing files for which a game needs to use. I have DirectX 11 on my computer, but when I go to install a new game say from Steam developed by Valve I have to run that games DirectX 9 installer to install missing directx files.

Also the DirectX Updater is for all versions of DirectX from 8 to 11.

When MS Releases DirectX Updates they are called Point Releases usually span 3 to 4 months which installs new files that add functionality to the DirectX API or repair bugs.

#4 mackerman

mackerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the tips - I tried a repair install of win7 and this has helped, but after this some of the windows updates have not applies - they install, but then when I restart the PC I get a message on the blue load screen - failed to configure updates, reverting changes, and none of the updates are applied. A mystery to me what is happening. Thanks anyway to the posters.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

Do you know what the blue screen code was?

#6 mackerman

mackerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

No code - it was the blue-ish windows 7 load screen, not the BSOD, with no code visible.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

So it was a blank BSOD?

#8 mackerman

mackerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

no, when windows is booting up, you see a blue lading screen. This shows a message - windows is configuring updates. This gets to 15% then stops, a message is given on this screen, windows is reverting updates, and you are back to square one!

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

What security applications do you use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users