Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira AntiVir Personal 10...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Magil

Magil

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

So, I had Avira since version 8. When version 9 came out, I happily updated, but since then, I'd had some troubles updating. Back then, I googled a solution, and found out I could download the necessary virus definitions update in a single file, which I could then manually install with an option available within the antivirus. And after doing so, I'd be both updated, and the antivirus would then successfully automatically update afterwords.

Fast-forward several months later, and I installed version 10, but uninstalled it later in favor of several alternatives which didn't quite satisfy me, then reinstalled it again shortly after. The failing updates were back, and so I googled for the updates, and fortunately found them again. But it seems that the updates available on Avira's site haven't been updated in a really long while. The most recent manual updates available there are for version 9, and I doubt they'd help me out with a more recent version. Still, in my desperation, I downloaded the updates for version 9 and installed them anyways. But still the automatic updates will fail for some reason.
I've tried manually starting the update within the antivirus. So far I've noticed that the updates are downloaded with no problems from their servers, but the antivirus itself would have problems installing them, hence the failed updates.

So now, my question is... what am I supposed to do? I was doing fairly well with Avira before, and right now I'm sorry I went with the alternatives. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Magil, 02 November 2010 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Magil

Magil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:49 AM

Ummm... so I find out it's been 11 days since I posted this, and no answer thus far. Is it something to be expected from these forums? I've been recommended by so many people to consult you, yet it seems that it takes forever to grab anyone's attention. Last year I had trouble getting a computer to connect to the internet, and it cost me 1 dll to go to an internet cafe just to check and see if anyone would answer me. In total, I ended spending 14 dlls for 2 weeks worth of being ignored, money I know I can't demand anyone to give me back, but was still quite a waste. And in the end, someone did answer, but really was irrelevant at that point since I opted to format everything.

I don't like to whine like this, but I've already opened a couple of threads like this and I've seen myself being ignored, while others receive some sort of attention (even if they're annoying non-personal generic and robotic messages). Ultimately, I know you wouldn't care if I were to ever decide to come back here or not. And I understand there are thousands upon thousands of unique users visiting the forums with their problems... but I don't understand why is it always my threads which are surrounded by other threads with at least 1 response.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

Sorry for the delayed response but staff members are all volunteers who assist other members as well as you when time permits. Unfortunately, this means sometimes a topic thread will get overlooked when requests for assistance get backed up.

This is the most current procedure I can find: How to manually update Avira AntiVir

The Avira User Manual has additional information for a manual update in section: 5.2.2.

If that does not help, then I suggest you contact Avira AntiVir Support or ask in the official Avira Support Forum. Since this appears to be an issue with Avira, their tech folks would best be able to address the problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users