Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best all around protection from free software?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sekhmehet

Sekhmehet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hello,
Working in a local computer store for five years where we developed a system of cleaning up viruses for clients.
We use Avast, Avira, AVG, Malwarebytes, Kaspersy, and Nod32.
I found that Avast finds the most viruses out of the three free AVs, and coupled with malwarebytes pretty much covers my computer.
Now, First questions is: Did any of you find other AVs that are free and have higher detection rate?
What software do you have on your computer?
And aside from these programs what would you put on your computer to protect from misc malware? (spyware, rootkits etc.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

Avast is a great program, and it can't get much better since it is free.

I personally use Avast, Comodo Firewall; and Malwarebytes & SUPERantispyware as on-demand scanners.
Spywareblaster is another great tool that helps prevent access to malicious sites/content.

I run firefox with AdBlock Plus, WOT, and SiteAdvisor.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

Working in a local computer store for five years where we developed a system of cleaning up viruses for clients.

I can recommend F-Secure's Rescue CD. It's a free live CD which comes with their AV scanner.
The advantage of booting from a live CD to scan a machine, is that the malware present on the disk is not active anymore and can't interfere with the scan process (i.e. hide itself or disable the AV).

I've created an how-to video.

One issue: if the disk is encrypted (full-disk encryption), then you won't be able to scan it with the live CD.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Sekhmehet

Sekhmehet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

Avast is a great program, and it can't get much better since it is free.

I personally use Avast, Comodo Firewall; and Malwarebytes & SUPERantispyware as on-demand scanners.
Spywareblaster is another great tool that helps prevent access to malicious sites/content.

I run firefox with AdBlock Plus, WOT, and SiteAdvisor.

Thanks.
I'll look into SUPERantispyware, Now I know Avast protects me from malicious sites too.
Does Spywareblaster just do a better job with it?

I can recommend F-Secure's Rescue CD. It's a free live CD which comes with their AV scanner.
The advantage of booting from a live CD to scan a machine, is that the malware present on the disk is not active anymore and can't interfere with the scan process (i.e. hide itself or disable the AV).

I've created an how-to video.

One issue: if the disk is encrypted (full-disk encryption), then you won't be able to scan it with the live CD.

We use Hiren's Boot CD and it has the same feature. Also when you first install Avast it gives you the option to restart your computer and scan before boot. You can also do it anytime after that. Which AV scanner do they use to scan before boot?
I will check out your tutorial.

#5 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Many Spyware, Hijackers, and Dialers are installed in Internet Explorer through a Microsoft program called ActiveX. These activex programs are downloaded when you go to certain web sites and then they are run on your computer. These programs can do a variety of things such as provide legitimate services likes games or file viewers, but they can also be used to install Hijackers and Spyware on to your computer without your permission.

SpywareBlaster, a program created by Javacool, is used to secure Internet Explorer so that it is harder for these ActiveX programs to run on your computer, as well as disabling the ability of certain known offending ActiveX programs from running at all. This program also has the ability to stop certain cookies from being added to your computer when running Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

Tutorial regarding Spywareblaster: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-spywareblaster-to-protect-your-computer/

#6 Sekhmehet

Sekhmehet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

Many Spyware, Hijackers, and Dialers are installed in Internet Explorer through a Microsoft program called ActiveX. These activex programs are downloaded when you go to certain web sites and then they are run on your computer. These programs can do a variety of things such as provide legitimate services likes games or file viewers, but they can also be used to install Hijackers and Spyware on to your computer without your permission.

SpywareBlaster, a program created by Javacool, is used to secure Internet Explorer so that it is harder for these ActiveX programs to run on your computer, as well as disabling the ability of certain known offending ActiveX programs from running at all. This program also has the ability to stop certain cookies from being added to your computer when running Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

Tutorial regarding Spywareblaster: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-spywareblaster-to-protect-your-computer/

I think for security minded people using IE is pretty much a sin.

#7 Skittler

Skittler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

Avira is one of the best. And I would suggest Malawarebytes as the other on demand scanner.

#8 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

Spywareblaster is just another layer of protection. It doesn't run in the background, so it uses NO resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users