Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Restarts Drving Me Crazy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DiamondStar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

Here is the scoop

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop Windows XP Home Edition was already on the computer when I purhcased it.

Normally I am pretty good with fixing errors but this one sucks!!

When I turn on my computer I get to the logo Windows Xp and then it restars. It will restart and then go to the screen where you can choose Safe Mode or other options, so I tried that, still nothing. It restarts and restarts......

I tried to fix Windows with a Home Edition Windows cd that I bought to update an older computer OS. I choose to fix Windows, but even after that it still did the crap of restarting.

I don't want to loose all my important files, and of course I never saved them on cd. And now I am well out of luck.

So 2 things I need:

1. How to recover those files I need to save.

2. How to get my system working properly.

I can restore the computer I am sure with my recovery cd's but I don't want to loose files on both c and d drive.

If someone could send me commands I can enter in when I place the Windows XP cd in it allows me to enter commands, but I AM LOST.

If there is a place where I can download something to get my computer up and running that would be great too.

Please I really could use anyones help, preferibly someone who knows what they are doing.

I really appreciate it. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

First off - DON'T PANIC.

Most important thing is to rescue your files.

Do you have any software on cd or floppy which will enable you to boot and MAKE AN IMAGE COPY OF THE HARD DISC BEFORE YOU TRY ANYTHING ELSE?

Alternatively, can you remove hard disc and connect to another PC?

According to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307654 you can't copy files from recovery console to removeable media so that rules out another idea unless anyone knows better....?

Do you have easy access to another PC?

Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

#3 franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

One thing you might try is to get a usb external housing for a 2.5" drive. Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, etc. often have them for about $40-$50, you can get them on e-bay for as low as $10 if you are not in a hurry.

Remove the hard drive from the laptop. Generally this is easier than removing hard drives from a desk top. The computer manual should have a section on replacing hard drive.

Then insert the drive into the usb housing. Plug into another computer and you will have access to the files on the computer without having to deal with booting up from the affected drive.

Before proceeding to copying files, it would be wise to do a full scan for viruses and malware.

After getting the files you need, then reinstall the hard drive into the laptop, reformat and reinstall windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users