Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes when disconnecting from the internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hi;

I am currently trying out Win7 Ultimate in an old pc with P4 2.6Ghz CPU 2.5gb ram. I have successfully installed all the programs I need. I had some compatibility mode drivers such as Display-nVidia FX5500(compatibility Vista), Soft56 modem driver (XP SP2) and Asus AD1888 sound(XP SP2).

I am encountering freezing when I disconnect from my connection which is a dial-up using the Soft56 modem. Aztech Soft56 modem driver (XP SP2 compatibility)to be precise. This happens everytime I disconnect from the internet. I don't suppose it's DNS related or what and I am at a loss what to do and why is this happening...

Can someone help me please...

I have a wireless broadband but it s prepaid so if I don't have credits to load I cannot surf the net. I a currently tied up economically so I tend to use dial-up for checking email and stuff and use the wireless broadband for downloading stuff only.

Please help me.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mach_v

mach_v

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

Win 7 was not designed for dial up except for bluetooth wireless for verizon and att. I have had people try to use aol dial-up on vista and win 7 and it just does not like it. Just like trying to use a parallel printer to usb. Win 7 and Vista do not like it and refuses to accept them. Everyone has to realize that with electronics and computers that old does not work with new and that they need to advance. In the near future phone lines will be obsolete. Sooner than you think. Everything is moving to email. Even fax machines are becoming obsolete. I do not believe that there is even a solution to your problem. Except downgrade to xp. Good Luck!

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

Win 7 was not designed for dial up except for bluetooth wireless for verizon and att. I have had people try to use aol dial-up on vista and win 7 and it just does not like it. Just like trying to use a parallel printer to usb. Win 7 and Vista do not like it and refuses to accept them. Everyone has to realize that with electronics and computers that old does not work with new and that they need to advance. In the near future phone lines will be obsolete. Sooner than you think. Everything is moving to email. Even fax machines are becoming obsolete. I do not believe that there is even a solution to your problem. Except downgrade to xp. Good Luck!

Can you provide a link to back up the claims you are making?

Microsoft wouldn't design an OS with only broadband and modern connectivity in mind. Many people in the US and various other parts of the world do not have broadband available, and dial up only exists.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

Say what?!?

I live in a rural area where dialup is the only option short of a satellite connection, and I have friends that aren't having any problems at all.

I agree with Cryptodan, please provide us with links that will verify this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hi guys;

The connection is working fine with dial-up in my area. It's the disconnection. When I disconnect it freezes. I tried a temporary remedy disabled ipv6 in the properties>networking and the freezing when disconnecting seemed corrected at this time. Still observing at the moment.

@mach_v;

I disagree on what you say that there is not a solution to my problem. I believe there is and there will be. Yeah. dial-up is going the way of obsolescence but a lot still use on circumstances mentioned here and of reasons given by other users. I know that the compatibility of drivers is an issue on this but hey, it now works. Sure would like to read your reply to cryptodan and dc3 about their inquiries to you. This will be a good read and interesting. I'll be learning more from this!

@cryptodan/dc3;

thanks for the replies!(hmmm...seem to have seen your login names at COU....:-)

Regards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users