Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Build (Help & Advice)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ISVenom

ISVenom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hello everyone, Im new here & was looking for some advice. Im looking to upgrade my current rig. This will be my first time building a pc myself. Heres what Im planning on buying, I want to stay below $380. Looking for a budget gaming rig.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156078

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231274&cm_re=G.SKILL_Ripjaws_Series_4GB_(2_x_2GB)-_-20-231-274-_-Product

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

Ill be using the following from my current system.

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136178

DVD ROM: Generic model burner

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020

Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127370

PSU: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153;+-+900-Watt+ATX+CPU+Power+Supply/9362049.p?id=1218091959258&skuId=9362049

Any thoughts or changes I should make? Whatcha think of this build? Any parts I should replace with others ect ect?

Grand Total: $399.88 After shipping. Price on CPU just went up today taking me over 380 :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance. Look forward to everyones input.

EDIT: Forgot my PSU :huh:

Side note: The fan on my PSU blows upward, in my current case & Smilodon, neither have a top vent to blow the air out, should it be an issue with it just blowing into the top of the case or should I cut a hole in the top above the fan?

Edited by ISVenom, 02 November 2010 - 02:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

What operating system are you going to install?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ISVenom

ISVenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

I must have been editing when you were replying, Ill be using Win 7 Ultimate 64.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:35 AM

There are very, very few reasons for a home user to need Windows 7 Ultimate. Home Premium will do everything you need, unless you are planning on doing some enterprise-level computing with EFS, federated searches, or needing a subsystem for UNIX based apps. Here's a graph comparing the editions. The only reason I can think of to get Ultimate is if you're getting it for free, or if you already have a full boxed retail copy of it you're transferring. I do think that is a flimsy case, but you're on a budget so it really shouldn't matter. I would suggest changing your motherboard to the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 because you don't need onboard graphics with a discrete GPU and the newer AMD 8 series chipset has USB 3.0 and SATA 6 built-in for the same price.

3939.png

#5 ISVenom

ISVenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

My issue with that board is its $20 more plus shipping, not sure I need 6 sata since I only have 1 HD & 1 burner, I guess my question is, is the 8 series chipset a big difference between the 785 Asus?

#6 ISVenom

ISVenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

And is not having a vent at the top of my tower going to be an issue with my PSU blowing straight up? Planning on ordering my parts in the next 2 days, trying to get an idea before I order all of it & go :thumbsup:

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

If you don't want to spend the extra $20, you can get the same features with the ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA. The difference with an AMD 7 implementation of USB 3 and SATA 6 is that it is done using a chip that is independent of the chipset, whereas the AMD 8 has it included. Granted you cannot do Crossfire with that motherboard, and you really shouldn't with the board you chose either, but unless you use high-end graphics cards and want to use several at once, it really isn't much of an issue. You may have to flip the PSU to install it, the vent must be pointed inside the case to prevent overheating. Your link to the PSU is also broken.

3939.png

#8 ISVenom

ISVenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-900w-power-supply-rf-900wps-rf-900wps/10125753.aspx?path=6a0c5443297dd6bd3c6279eafb003f0fen02

So if I flip the PSU upside down it will blow air down onto my MB, that wont create any heat issues?

Im not planning to crossfire, Im not sold on the whole multi GPU boosting performance enough to warrent extra money on the same series card when I could spend a little more money for a single card & get better performance in most cases. Im not a top end guy.

Im still a little confused on the MB part also. The board you linked uses 770 NB, while the Asus I have in my orginal build uses the 785G, what makes the ASRock board better? Just the fact that it has USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0? How much difference between the NB series is there that would warrant using the 770 & getting usb 3.0 and sata 6.0?

Thanks for all of the help so far, input is definitely appreciated

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:52 AM

The PSU fan on the inside of the case should always be pointed towards the motherboard and not towards the case. The fan won't work with the case in the way. My case has the PSU on the bottom so the fan faces up, on a case with it on top, it faces down. The only thing the 785G does that the ASRock doesn't do is the crappy on-board video, the 770 has USB 3.0 and SATA 6 which I believe is more valuable than an on-board GPU you will never use. Both are within the same AMD 7 series and have the same basic features, but the 770 loses the on-board and ASRock adds onto the board USB 3.0 and SATA 6. The same is true for the 790FX and the 790GX, they are both part of the 7 series but they both have strengths. You do know that link goes to a Canadian site? If you're in Canada you cannot use Newegg.com, but Newegg.ca. Anyway, 900W is completely overkill for this setup as that PSU is really designed for multi-GPU setups.

Here's a breakdown of AMD's chipsets.

AMD 770 - Basic functionality, not designed for multi-GPU setups but can handle them if the manufacturer adds another PCI-E slot.
AMD 785G - Nearly identical to the 770 but with on-board graphics.
AMD 790X - Similar to the 770 in that it doesn't have on-board graphics. This is designed for two-way Crossfire systems with 16x/8x rather than the 16x/4x 770 chipsets have.
AMD 790FX - The flagship model. It has no on-board graphics, but has greater PCI-E bandwith for full 16x Crossfire, or three or four way Crossfire at slower speeds. Often comes with high-end OC abilities.
AMD 790GX - This is like the 790X but with on-board graphics.

Note: None of the AMD 7 series have USB 3.0 and SATA 6 built-in as it is not part of the spec, motherboard manufacturers add it to the board as a feature. AMD 8 series has it added to the chipset and the basic numbering and abilities above apply there too.

3939.png

#10 ISVenom

ISVenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:02 AM

No Im in NY, that link was the first link I found that worked that didnt bork out because of Bestbuys linking problem. I got the 900 watt when my old PSU fried from power surges (yes it was plugged into a surge protector).

So SATA 6.0 is worth having, and my current HDD will work with it? Basically means system will transfer data faster if Im understanding correctly?

I believe I orginally looked at that same ASRock board, then a friend told me to go with Asus, how do ASRock & Asus stack up?

Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated!! Learning alot :thumbsup:

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

If you already have the PSU, it will work but it would sort of be like getting a high-end sportscar to drive to work every day, so much power with nowhere to really use it. There are caveats with SATA 6 and USB 3.0. Both are fully backwards compatible with earlier versions, USB 2.0 and 1.0 devices will work with USB 3.0, for instance. However, the extra speed doesn't come into play unless you buy equipment made for SATA 6 or USB 3.0. Here's a hard drive designed for SATA 6: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB. You can still use SATA 3 devices, but you will not see a speed increase unless you use SATA 6. Asus and ASRock are technically the same thing as ASRock is a wholly owned subsidiary of Asus, kind of like Comair to Delta Air Lines or Opel to General Motors. ASRock's are Asus' general computing boards in that they offer a good value with fewer bells and whistles. If you were doing extreme overclocking or really pushing your PC to it's limits, I would not suggest ASRock, but for your usage, it would work.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users