Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google redirect, windows audio, svchost.exe viruses, probably more...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Girl on the Internet

Girl on the Internet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

ive been having problems with my computer for months now, but only recently has it got this bad. ive done regular scans but nothing is catching anything, even though my computer is obviously messed up.
[i'm running windows xp]

-i have avast and avg installed on my computer [i know i should have one or the other, but i cant get avg to uninstall...]
-i have done scans with mbam, avast, and avg and none of them find anything. gmer finds things but i cant delete any of them.
-i have recent logs from mbam, gmer, and [i think] avast i can send anyone.

the main problems ive been having--
-services not connecting: when i try to run ad-aware it says 'loading' and then it says that it was unable to connect

-strange freezing: im not exactly sure how to describe this but ill try. my computer freezes a lot, and a host of things happen... sometimes, when i click on a link on any webpage, the computer will freeze, and then when it unfreezes, a popup comes up that tries to redirect me to some fake news/information site. sometimes it redirects me to the google-analytics page or other fake 'google' pages. other times, the whole computer will freeze and not unfreeze, and i have to force restart it which im sure isnt good. sometimes random applications like aim or itunes freeze... generally going into task manager, manually ending them, and then restarting them helps. and the strangest of all, sometimes the computer will freeze, or even just lag for a little, and all of a sudden my windows are changed. as in, instead of looking like the xp-style icons, etc, theyre they old style ones... sometimes this even happens with the start bar at the bottom of the page and it will look like windows 98 or something.

-problems with opening 'my documents':
every time i open my documents, my computer will slow down, and then half a second later display a message that windows has closed the 'my documents' window to protect me. i say okay, and then the computer freezes. i have to go into task manager, end explorer.exe, and then restart explorer.exe to get it working again.

-audio problems:
this has now got to the point that sometimes as soon as i restart the computer these problems are happening. the computers audio will be working just fine, and then all of a sudden any audio online stops working and i get a message that 'adobe flash plug-in crashed'. i then i have to restart. [sometimes this problem also happens after the computer freezes and then unfreezes and the windows look different, as i mentioned above] either this happens, or i try to open itunes and it gives me the message that there are problems with my audio settings, and some things might not work, and then it opens itunes and i cant play anything, like it wont even start playing... but the sound on the internet will be fine. when either of these things happen, if i go into control panel > admin tools > services > windows audio the process will be stopped, and it wont start again unless i restart.

-misc.: my avast software constantly is detecting threats and showing me popups with details of the threats it is detecting. the majority of these are surprisingly coming from the process 'svchost.exe'... i know this is a legitimate windows process but can it be corrupted? also, when i open task manager, the system idle process is always taking up a ton of CPU... is this a problem? also one time, after i had just restarted my computer & had itunes and aim open, all my programs suddenly shut down and i had to restart.

so if anyone has any idea what is wrong with this, and how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated. its getting to the point where i can only use my computer for like an hour before something happens to it and i have to restart, and keep restarting until it behaves. im begging you guys!

Edited by Girl on the Internet, 02 November 2010 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users