Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Disc for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hey guys and gals!

In the concern of safety and good practice. I've been researching different ways to create a boot disc for my personal use should anything happen to my laptop.

I was going to use the Ultimate Boot Disc but they currently only have a version for Windows XP.

I want to be able to do it from a flash drive. I have one that I can use.

What all do I need to be able to create an efficient and easy to use boot drive for Windows 7 that I can use in the event of...
  • Corrupt hard drive that had to be replaced
  • Infected computer that must be restored with all of my files and programs
  • Any other event that requires windows to boot from something else

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions you have!
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

The first thing that you need to do if you intend to boot from a flash drive is to see if your BIOS supports using a flash drive as a boot device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

If the BIOS has a setting to boot from USB, then:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm pretty certain it does. I can plug it in, and when I boot up it shows up in the list of available devices to boot from.

I'm presently downloading WinPE 3.0 from Microsoft as I understand I will need this.

I also have an ISO burning/mounting software that I am comfortable with.

What steps should I take next?
for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Personally I always have liked Linux when it comes to take care of an infected PC. Linux can be booted off CD/DVD and USB sticks. It offers all the tools needed to tweak an un-bootable computer including antivirus/antimalware. Almost all antivirus vendors offer free to download linux based ISO images (but they are scaled down to run only antivirus). I keep the recovery disk for Windows 7 only to fix the bootloader and run Windows specific commands like regedit etc..

You can find useful information about building WinPE based CD/DVD and USB sticks here : http://winbuilder.net/

Edited by Romeo29, 02 November 2010 - 10:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users