Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashed & Panic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

I have reports of VirtualBox crashes in Library\Logs\CrashReporter & Library\Logs\DiagnosticReports. I only know about them because I was reading and those logs were mentioned so I looked in the folders. There's been no noticeable problem using my programs in the VM. When I found the folders the last crash was days ago but there was another one yesterday. I have no idea how to troubleshoot the problem. Do I need to do anything? PaperPort and Word used to crash all the time on winxp despite [or because] of updating the os & both programs. The logs all list an EXC_BAD_ADDRESS & KERN-INVALID_ADDRESS [at different addresses each log]. There is a new version of virtualbox out, but I really don't want to have to reinstall right now unless letting virtualbox generate a crash report is a bad thing.

The mac also had a panic attack when I shut down last night. I got a message to power off via the power button and restart. I think the problem is the firewire hardware on my external hdd. It was giving me problems on the pc but I was suspecting the tablet's firewire pc card because the MyBook seemed to do ok w/ the mac. It's mostly formatted ntfs so I can just read from it to the mac. I write to it a lot from the pc. Maybe that's why I noticed problems w/ the pc and not w/ the mac.
The first line of the report said
"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x95169a1d): "ntfs_buf_iodone(): ni != vol->mft_ni\n"@/SourceCache/ntfs/ntfs-65.2/kext/ntfs_vnops.c:242"
The ntfs in there is what made me suspect the MyBook and further down the "backtrace" com.apple.iokit.firewire etc's are listed. It may be the drive itself has problems. The MyBook seemed to do OK using its usb connection on the pc, but the problem was intermittent, so I can't be sure.

The second line said there were 4 potential args on stack, whatever args are. Googling didn't help re "args" but I learned more about panic attacks.
"Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)"

I need to backup up the MyBook to dvd using the mac and I was going to try using its usb connection. If it is the drive itself that is the problem, the worst that will happen is a panic that is solved by rebooting w/out the ext hdd attached, correct? A bad ext hdd can't corrupt the mac os, can it?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

Ok Im going to go from the bottom of your post to the top seeing as that is the order that is seems to want to go in my head :blink: Ok 1st no a bad drive will not corrupt mac os x, now it is most likely the MyBook drives firewire port or controller or even firewire cable might be going bad, those things can cause a kernel panic. 2nd thing is that as long as virtual box it running normal and the guest OS (winXP) in your case is running normally then you can most likely ignore those.

Edited by computerxpds, 03 November 2010 - 05:10 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thanks computerxpds
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

You are welcome! :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users