Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP becoming less user friendly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nell_p

nell_p

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

I am using Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

About a month a go, I noticed that the close button (the little red "x") in the top right hand corner of my windows had been disabled. I scanned for viruses, and none were found, so I figured that it had just been a setting that was changed inadvertently. No big deal, since Alt-F4 still closes windows. However, yesterday, when I logged on, things have changed dramatically. Now, not only is the close button disabled in all windows, but the minimize and maximize buttons are non-functional, and I am unable to move any windows, or re-size them using the arrows. The visual settings have reverted to Windows Classic View, and the Windows XP View is no longer an option.

The only thing that I have done to the system before this happened was reinstall Java, and Adobe Flash, due to some Flash applications not loading correctly.

Assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated, since viewing all websites using a web-browser that only covers 1/3 of my screen is a daunting task.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi, welcome to bc. That sounds awful. Try going into start, run, type cmd and that will bring up the command prompt. Then type
sfc /scannow
and press enter. It will scan for corrupt windows files and if it finds any it will ask you to put in the xp install disk and copy the files back. Hopefully this will help, in the mean time to get windows maximized you could press alt then spacebar then x and that should do it. Let us know if it does or doesn't work and we will try and fix it.

What did you scan with for virus?

#3 nell_p

nell_p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

I ran the command that you said to do, and things are even more daunting.

I guess there are multiple dlls that need installed from the Windows XP disk, but when I inserted my recovery disk, it is asking for disk 2. There is no disk 2. When I got my system it did not come with an XP disk, just instructions on how to make a recovery one.

I tried pressing alt then spacebar then x, but it had no effect.

For the virus scan, I used McAfee, and Malwarebytes.

Edited by nell_p, 02 November 2010 - 10:08 AM.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

Without an xp disk I don't know how to fix it. The only thing I can think of is if you have this folder "C:\windows\i386", navigate to that folder when sfc asks for the cd. Other than that I would either try to get my hands on an xp cd or reformat with the recovery disk. Remember if you do this to backup important things.

#5 nell_p

nell_p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

I tried using the recovery disk, and now it won't let me. It is saying the version on the disk is older than the one currently installed. I will try your other idea, and see what happens.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

ok, good luck

#7 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

For the virus scan, I used McAfee, and Malwarebytes.

these are quality programs, but i think you may still be infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users