Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited or No Connectivity~Unable to Contact DHCP Server~Cannot Assign Network Addresss

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LadyCore

LadyCore

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:43 AM

Hi Everyone at Bleeping Computer !!!! I am desperate for some HELP....Please ?.....PRETTY PLLLEEEASSSEE ??:inlove: Now,..Before I Continue to Explain the Issue,....I Need to Please Ask that you Kindly Read FULLY & Thoroughly Thru even though it may appear Long. I Ask this because I have already done quite a few things in trying to determine the problem & attempting to resolve it & I am listing everything I've already done & providing you with the results & I just don't want you possibly suggesting that I do something I already did or that I get info for something that is already given. (thanks)

Second,...Please be sure to take into consideration that I am not extremely Computer Savvy or Knowledgable. Well...a Little for a basic Home User but with the Operating System; Not too much at all with this issue & with Networking, Routers, Modems, IP Addresses, & DHCP !!! Networking is not my strong suit or area of expertise so Please Handle with Care. lol.
THANKS & HUGS in Advanced !!:flowers:

ok,....so now to the Problem
:thumbsup:

We have a Main Desktop Computer as well as a Lap Top,..both Running WINDOWS XP. The Lap Top is Wireless with a LINKSYS Wireless Card & the Desktop has the MOTOROLA Modem & a LINKSYS Router & we are BROADBAND Connected & Both were Running & Working just fine & they were Both Accessing the Internet just fine...until 3 days ago when the Wireless Lap Top suddenly wouldn't connect to the internet & it Popped Up with a Yellow Explanation Mark :trumpet: over the Double Computer Icon in the Bottom Right Task Bar...Near the Clock, with a Message in the Task Bar Stated ::
" LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY" "THE PROBLEM OCCURRED BECAUSE THE NETWORK DID NOT ASSIGN A NETWORK ADDRESS TO THE COMPUTER !!

FIX ATTEMPTS : There are Several & I Am Listing Everything to Follow & Marking Each Thing with a Double RED ** So you can See Everything Already Done & the Results Clearly so maybe someone can help me figure the problem out once & for all.
** I Tried to do the Repair Link they Provide & Got Back a Message that Stated : "Windows Could Not Finish Repairing the Problem because the Following Action Cannot Be Completed: Renewing Your IP Address. Contact the Person that Manages your Network"

** Then, i decided to go into & check the EVENT LOG on Both the Wireless Computer as well as the Desktop & on the DESKTOP Computer there are 3 Re-Occurring Events:
==>> Event ID 1003 : Your Computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the NEtwork Card with network address 00045A65B2AE. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by user. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on iots own from the network address (DHCP) server.
==>> Event ID 1002 : The IP address lease 192.168.1.100 for the Network Card with network address 00045A65B2AE has been denied by the DHCP server 167.206.3.234 (the DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).
==>> Event ID 8033 : The Browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0D7F99D4-F8F1-4334-8B8F-A3AEEEB0B3A5} because a master browser was stopped. On the WIRELESS LAPTOP, the same Event ID 1003 Appears as well as Event ID 8033 just with different #' s & letters in the parenthesis & then there is also
==>> Event ID 1007 : Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with Network Address 00045AC94E3A. The IP Address being used is 169.254.45.251
(but this is not the usual IP address that we normally have in the past ????)

** I then Ran IPCONFIG /ALL on Both the Wireless Lap Top as well as the Desktop & Below I have Copied & Pasted what they both say & You gotta see what the WIRELESS on says. It looks extremely odd to me. a Bunch of ffffffff 's ???

Copy of IPCONFIG /ALL for WIRELESS LAPTOP
:
C:\Documents and Settings\NS>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NJAYS
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Instant Wireless Network PC Card V2.
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-C9-4E-3A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.45.251
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%4
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A9-FE-2D-FB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.45.251%2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Copy of IPCONFIG /ALL for DESKTOP Computer :

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : stern
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapt
er(LNE100TX v4)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-65-B2-AE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.254.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 01, 2010 11:53:15 P
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:53:15
PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Now, on the Wireless Laptop, I also Ran IPCONFIG /RELEASE & IPCONFIG /RENEW & it comes back with a Message Stating : "Unable to Contact Your DHCP Server. Request Timed Out"

On the Wireless Laptop, I then also Ran a Command found on Google for REPAIRING CORRUPT TCP/IP STACK : Command "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt " & it did make the Yellow Explanation on the Double Computer Icon in the Bottom Right Hand Taskbar Go Away...but we still couldn't get online & now the Yellow Explanation has come back.

I Ran the Interent Explorer Repair when we couldnt establish a Connection & got ERROR 12007 ??

I Then also Ran a Comman for
RESETING the WINSOCK ~ Two of them..Command " netsh winsock reset " & " netsh winsock reset catalog " & restarted but Nada !!

* I Also Checked that the Following SERVICES were Started on Both the Lap Top & the Desktop Computer. There were, of course, Other Services Other then these that were indeed Started or Not but per a Google Search & Research in Forums, it was stated to make sure these were On & so i did but if there are any others that i need to make sure are on, Let me know please.
COM+ Event System Computer Browser DHCP Client DNS Client Network Connections Network Location Awareness Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Server TCP/IP Netbios helper Wireless Zero Configuration Workstation

Now, I also went into the DEVICE MANAGER on Both Computers to Look for any Red X's....especially under Network Adapters & the Desktop Computer was Fine with No Red X's anywhere....

& The WIRELESS Laptop Shows Under "NETWORK ADAPTERS" :

==>> 1394 Net Adapter ~ Which is Fine with No Red X.

==>> Instant Wireless Network PC Card V2.5 ~ which is Fine with No Red X

==>> Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100) ~ This DOES HAVE A RED X ....BUT, as far as i can remember it ALWAYS has & when we were able to get online & access the Internet. I always thought this was the cable we would use if we wanted to make the wireless laptop not wireless & thats why it showed a Red X when using the Wireless Card....but maybe I've been wrong ?????????????? it's very well possible thats for sure !!

Now, I also took the Wireless Laptop over to the Desktop & hooked it up through the Router...& Nothing !! Everything was still exactly the same. No Connection, the IpConfig was the same reading as well as the Device Manager !

Well,....I think I've given you all I know & All that I can for now.

I So Very Much Hope Someone Out there can Spare Some of Their Time & Help Me. & again....Please Know I'm Not Computer Knowledgable when it comes to Networking Issues So I will Need Help with any Steps or Instructions.
& Oh I am So Thankful Already to Any of you that will Give your Time to My Annoying Issue & to Helping Little Lost Me Out.

Really.....Im ETERNALLY GRATEFUL. THANKS & MANY HUGS, Corey :bike:

" To Err is Human...but It Feels Divine " ~ Mae West

" A Girl Should Be Two Things : Classy & Fabulous " ~ Coco Chanel

"A Woman Carries Her Clothes but its the Shoes that Carry the Woman " ~ Christian Louboutin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LadyCore

LadyCore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

NOT ONE PERSON IS GONNA HELP ME WITH THIS ???????????????????????????????????????? I guess ill have to find another forum ??? :thumbsup:

"A Woman Carries Her Clothes but its the Shoes that Carry the Woman " ~ Christian Louboutin

#3 justjeff0331

justjeff0331

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

no one is helping me me either and sounds like we have the same problem and think I might have found the answer so will pass it along to you and maybe it will help you. http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/winsock-fix/

#4 LadyCore

LadyCore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hi JustJeff0331
.....& although i so Very Much THANK YOU for responding unlike anyone else.....& i mean this...i do THANK YOU for taking the time.....

if you would have looked & read through my lengthy initial posting you would see that resetting the winsock was something that i had already tried....more then once, & it is one of the MANY NUMEROUS things i tried & that is why my post is so long as i have already tried numerous things to no avail & i listed each & the outcome ....desperate for some assistance from someone with knowledge.,...which i thought i would find here....but unfortunately i havent.... ??????

& out of sheer frantic desperation to get my issue fixed & not having ANYONE respond to me here, i went to a few other forums trying to get some help from those....& in doing so, i get yelled at by someone at one of the other forums for posting my issue & question at more then one forum ?????????????? but if that guy would have taken the time to look he would have seen that i wasn't getting any responses.....so what ??? i cant go elsewhere to try to get some help ??? RIDICULOUS & He was outta line & i will be contacting the owner of his forum & complaining!

But its been an utter nightmare trying to get a forum to respond this time around
BUT
i did finally get a nice man that responded to me at another forum & he took his valuable time to help little ole me, & i cant be anymore grateful.....

& the issue is fixed now....unfortunately no thanks to anyone here, but it is fixed for now....
BUT
we actually i have no idea how or why or what was the problem ????

I was reading a forum response from the nice man that took his time to aid in my issue, & he said that if my Linksys's WLAN lite wasnt on then its not seeing the wireless laptop & i looked & that light wasn't on, so i was about to go get the laptop & bring it near the router to see if maybe it would get a better signal & before doing so, i decided to do a power up power down cycle with the router reset button, which i have done a thousand times before, & then POOF....all of a sudden the WLAN light was lit & on & i ran to the lap top & the yellow ! was gone & i could get online with it....its slow but on & running....

But now i wanna know why it did this & what the problem is ???
Our router is literally an antique...its old old old & so maybe i should buy a new one ???
maybe its not giving or getting a good signal sometimes....& its odd....our cordless home phone, which also runs through the cable & the modem & stuff, sits right here next to the desktop & sometimes when we try to use it it wont give a signal & comes back as saying "out of range"...so maybe the same thing is happening with the router, & maybe i should call our cable providers ??? or move the cordless phone somewhere else....maybe the signals are getting crossed ?? or maybe the router is faulty ???
i dont know....:wacko:
but id love to know
so, if anyone here has any opinions or suggestions on what happened & why & how to fix it so it doesn't happen again, id SO VERY MUCH LOVE to hear from you.....
Please???

Thank you in advanced for any info any of you can provide. Hugs,Corey :inlove:

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

Welcome to bc. I would help you but I can't read the font you have used as I am slightly visually impaired. So if you please, in normal font, state the problem as concisely and accurately as possible (huge blocks of text put people off and they are less likely to want to read it and help you).

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

If your router is very old it could be the cause of most of your issues. Many times with older routers there can be issues with strange lockups such as you experienced. Also having other wireless devices in close proximity to the router can and will cause various degrees of interference. Since yoour router is so old it is possible that the router and the phone very close in what frequency they use. Move it as far away from the router as you can.

edit- I would echo the sentiment to stay with the standard font. I developed quite the eye strain from reading your posts.

Edited by Baltboy, 08 November 2010 - 09:39 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users