Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatibility issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:23 AM

Hmmm, okay. As a writer my editor wishes me to use a template to write in. I open the saved .rtf template file, save it under the book name and start working.

When I save the file I am working in, the page changes from .rtf to compatibility mode and I get an information box that says,

The following features in this document are not supported by earlier versions of Word. These features may be lost or degraded when you save this document in an earlier file format. Click continue to save the document. To keep all your features click cancel and save the file in one of the new file formats.

Under that there is a space and it tells me;

Summary: Some custom properties that are stored in this document will be lost.

Number of occurrences: 1.

Even when I save the document in a new .rtf file, I get the same message box.

My question is, does that box mean that there is an issue with the way my editor formatted the template or is there an issue with my software? I have checked the Word update pages and it tells me everything is up to date, which makes me think that it is in the way my editor designed the template. My editor and I have discussed this issue and she sent me a new formatted template, and I still get the information box. Can anyone confirm or deny my thought?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:40 AM

Are you both actually using the same version of Word?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

:thumbsup: I never thought about that. No we are not. I do not know which version my editor is using but I will gander a guess it is a newer version than mine. That would and could input a character into the template that my version might not recognize.

To counter this problem, I will write in a standard .rtf file and when I am done, cut and paste the work into the template she designed before I send it to her.

Thank you Platypus for that reminder of the differences between the versions. I'm not jumping up to the newest version. I just got this 07 version for my birthday this year. I was previously using the 03 version. There is a bit of a learning curve still.

Thank You

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

I guess your editor is using Office 2010, and the template uses a feature Word 2007 doesn't support. Perhaps she could save the template in compatability mode, and see if losing that formatting feature really matters? Then you could use the template without a problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users