Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Freezing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 whiskytango

whiskytango

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:19 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop / Windows Vista, approximately 18 months old, which freezes after about 5 minutes. Some examples:-

A : Turn on machine and Microsoft Corp., appears with progress bar. Then a black and white display headed ‘Check on C File System’, which runs. Then I get a normal screen asking for password and the ‘Welcome’ screen, followed by a normal screen with desktop icons, apart from the dock icons along the top, and the ‘side panel’ showing the clock etc.

I opened ‘Avast Anti-Virus’ to do a scan and the ‘Scan Now’ window was blank and not displaying the choices of scans available e.g. Full Scan. A message along the top of this window told me it was not responding. This window and the main screen then displayed covered in a semi-opaque milky white and then everything froze. Turned off machine with button on the keyboard.

B: Turned on machine, which displayed ‘Windows Error Recovery – Start Windows Normally’, followed by ‘Check Disk’ ‘Password’ ‘Welcome’. Desktop icons, including the dock ones along the top this time, and the Avast icon rotating, and then announcing that my virus database has been updated.

Tried clicking on programmes, e.g. Internet Explorer, which displayed and then froze behind the above mentioned semi-opaque milky white.

I have tried several times to use my machine and each time I get combinations of the above, plus many more. But the end results are the same.

Please help.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users