Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird problem with my Right Click

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lizzygarcia02

lizzygarcia02

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

I have no idea where to put this post because I have NO idea what the problem could be from. I have Windows 7 and I have a Dell Inspiron 1545. I was on the internet one day and I got a popup and I kept trying to close it, and my computer froze. I kept right clicking and left clicking but it was just frozen. I had to turn the computer off by keeping the power button pressed and then I restarted the computer. I noticed immediately that I could not right click on things. I tried right clicking on files, on the desktop.. anything. It wouldn't bring up the menus that used to come up. I'm basically without a right click now and have been for 2 months now.

I doubt this is virus (plus I usually scan my computer weekly and I empty my temp and history every week) and I don't think the actual button itself is broken. Well, for all I know, it may be the physical button that is broken, but I have looked up other ways to bring up the right-click menu and they have all failed. I saw something about SHIFT + F10; I've tried messing with the Mouse settings in the Control Panel. I've tried everything I could find online but I cannot bring up the menu. Because I can not bring up the menu no matter what, I don't think it is a hardware problem. I tried System Restore when it first happened and that didn't work either. Could reinstalling Windows 7 work or does anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

Since you don't think this is malware related and you're not describing any symptoms of infection I could move this topic to a more appropriate forum where you can get assistance from those more familiar with Windows 7. But since you advise you encountered a pop-up when this issue occurred and System Restore is not working, as a precaution, I'd look to perform a few scans first. If we don't find anything, I can always move this topic afterwards.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Please download SUPERAntiSpyware Free and follow these instructions for performing a scan.
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
-- If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner (listed under Popular Links) instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users