Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Understanding udp packet in real life situation?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nounou29

nounou29

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

suppose i am listening to the radio on the internet...(using udp)

1 packet is sent from the radio server to my machine.Does this mean that for 10 minutes=1packet??

or does this mean for 10 minutes=i can have 10 packets?

and packet 5 might be lost, it will skip packet 5 and send packet 6...meaning i will not be able to listen to that small part in packet 5 but will receive the data after packet 5.

please clarify this to me...
thanks beforehand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

While packet size can vary it is maxed out at 65,507 bytes per packet. So it would take quite a number of packets to stream ten minutes of music. How many would depend on the actual size of the music file being streamed.

UDP is a not error correcting protocol or order dependent protocol. It also uses the packets in the order recieved at the target computer even if the packets are out of order. Because of the real time usage of video/audio it would not be possible for a corrupted/dropped packet to be resent so it would just go to the next one recieved. So yes if in the middle of a streaming music track packet five is lost then it plays the next one recieved.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users