Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full duplex in tcp, please help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nounou29

nounou29

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

hi...normally we said when we use tcp...it is full duplex(tcp)..

suppose i have 2 packet to be send to a server packet A and packet B.
when sending a packet(A) from my computer to a server and if that packet is lost, my computer will have to try to send packet A to the server according to the sequencing property in the tcp. Packet B will not be allowed to be sent until packet A reaches the server successfully right??

in other hand, packet B is waiting for packet A, right??
why do we say that it is full duplex??
i would be grateful to anyone who answer it.

thanks beforehand,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

Using TCP packets can be sent out of order. However TCP is an error correcting protocol and an order dependent protocol. So lost or corrupted packets will be resent. All other recieved packets will be held till the corrected packet is recieved.

So in your example both packet A and packet B will be sent to the server. When the server determines by the checksum that it is missing packet A it will ask for the packet to be resent. Meanwhile the server will hold packet B until Packet A is recieved and proccessed.

None of this actually has anything to do with Full duplex. What full duplex means is that the network cards in the computer are capable of transmitting data and recieving data at the same time.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users