Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have two xp hard drives, if I dban, what then happens to my boot loader?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

My friend's pc has two hard drives installed dual-boot on his dell pc. Both hard drives are windows xp. On the boot loader, they are listed as:

"Windows XP professional"
"windows XP professional"

Now, the frst hard drive caught many viruses and he was thinking of doing DBAN, and install windows XP all over again on the first hard drive. But he's curious about what will happen to the boot loader. Will the boot loader update somehow after he does a clean wipe of the first hard drive? Will it make a mistake such as list three different OS on the boot loader? Sorry if this sounded like a dumb question, it's just he wants to make sure if he can do a clean wipe on one of the hard drives without affecting the boot loader in some way. What he would like is if the boot loader will still load the exisitng 2nd hard drive (the good one) with the new installation of the first hard drive. So, is it safe?

Edited by djvic87, 01 November 2010 - 11:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

If you overwrite the hdd, there will no longer be anything there, it will be a blank unpartitioned hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

O ok. So let's say if I dban the first hard drive, then restart, will the boot loader load only the other hard drive with XP?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

It should look for the hdd with a operating system. To ensure this occurs, make the hdd with the operating system the first device in the boot order of the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

O ok. My other question is, what if I dban on the first hard drive, then reinstall windows XP on the first hard drive, will the bootloader remain unchanged as how it would show in the boot loader?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

The MBL will be in whichever hdd has the operating system installed in it.

#7 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

O ok. The reason I ask is because I want to make sure I don't remove the boot loader. I'm not sure in which hard drive the boot loader was installed. But by all means, the XP that boots first (the first hard drive though) in the boot loader is the one that's infected and needs to be DBAN. I want to DBAN it and then reinstall XP and make sure that there will be a boot loader, or in better words, both XP installations from each hard drive show up for me to be able to choose. I don't want to lose the option from choosing between both hard drives.

UPDATE: I just remember that the boot loader is coming from the second hard drive that's not infected. I assume that if I dban the first hard drive, the boot loader will still persist on the second hard drive. But what I'm curious to know is if I do a full wipe (DBAN or killdisk) and then reinstall xp again on the first hard drive, will the boot loader from the second hard drive recognize the new installed XP from the first hard drive? Or will the boot loader jump to the next hard drive?

Edited by djvic87, 02 November 2010 - 12:44 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

FWIW: http://www.ehow.com/how_4891476_reinstall-xp-bootloader.html

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

When you say boot loader, are you referring to the Master Boot Record?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users