Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU When Browsing...Most of the time.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fougere

Fougere

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi.

I've been having this trouble for over 2 months and was working with another forum, but the only help I got after 19 days with no reply, was from a guy who turned out not to have a lot of experience.

Anyway, he did suggest some things that seemed to have made headway, but I'm still experiencing 100% CPU when accessing the internet.

The main problem was svchost.exe and the browser (IE8 or Firefox) were maxing out CPU. Sometimes svchost was using over 100Mb and other times it was the browser, with svchost using anywhere from 20-80Mb. (I only have 495Mb RAM & that's all I can put into this machine.)

I get the 100% cpu even in safe mode w/out network capabilities.

I did have Win32.tdss.d and several Java exploits (I had versions going back to java 5), which were supposedly (I say that because I'm still having browsing probs) removed by Kaspersky Antivirus and, later, by Eset NOD32. Plus I was instructed to run OTM and cc cleaner. Then, when my browsing performance didn't improve, I was advised to use Autoruns, which turned out to deliver the best improvement since I began seeking forum assistance in late September.

With Ar, I deselected leftovers from programs I had uninstalled (AVG, lavasoft), plus ose.exe and catchme.sys (in the temp folder - I think its a file associated with cc cleaner).

Then, I discovered that I should make automatic updates manual and disabled.

Also, I disabled any HP printer file (I don't have an HP printer, but I had installed the driver once so I could use a friend's printer. Found a forum discussion about 100% CPU use being linked to HP printer files).

After all that, my performance improved to intermittent 100% CPU when browsing. If I navigate to a streaming video site, cpu jumps to 100%.

Oh, another video problem I have is that when watching a DVD, the playback will get choppy after 11 minutes of play and will hang after an hour of play.

None of this behavior was happinging about 2.5 months ago. It all started going haywire when I got hijacked by Asklots.

Can you help me figure out why browsing still causes 100% cpu use and why I can't view streaming video anymore?

Thanks!

BTW: I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2. 495MB RAM, 110Mb Drive (64Mb Available space).

I have also been using Process Explorer to view & take snapshots of system performance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

Welcome to bc. Sounds like a virus to me. Also, having avg, kaspery, and nod32 on the same machine is not good. Are you sure all were completely uninstalled before you installed nod32?

Edited by thrillhouse, 02 November 2010 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Fougere

Fougere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hi.

Well, I uninstalled avg before installing kav, then uninstalled kav (plus ran the kav downloadable uninstaller) before installing NOD32. I followed the instructions I was given by the other av forum and I didn't notice any leftover avg/kav files in the subsequent scans and logs after doing the uninstalls.

Part of my trouble with scanning is that CPU will jump to 100% when running. The last time I tried to do a full scan, it took 5.75 hours to go through only four system folders. I just couldn't sit there for however many days it was going to take to complete the full scan.

I could really use some help with pinpointing what's causing CPU maxout & the bizarre video playback slowdown.

If it would help, I can post the logs and screenshots here.

Edited by Fougere, 02 November 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Heat can cause this. Get CPUID HWMonitor (it's free) and run it with the pc at 100% and see what the temperature is. Also, all processors have a heat range that is too hot that can damage them, but it varies. In your next post let us know the make and model of computer or specs if it is custom and post a screenshot or let us know your cpu temps.

#5 Fougere

Fougere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Heat can cause this. Get CPUID HWMonitor (it's free) and run it with the pc at 100% and see what the temperature is. Also, all processors have a heat range that is too hot that can damage them, but it varies. In your next post let us know the make and model of computer or specs if it is custom and post a screenshot or let us know your cpu temps.

It's a Toshiba Satellite I bought used in France in 2004. I have installed the maximum RAM (500Mb) and am running XP SP2 (I have 110Mb HD, 65Mb free space -- SP3 apparently will take anywhere from 65Mb-300Mb, so I've avoided installing it since it was released). Haven't had any probs until about 2 months ago when I got infected with a browser hijacker.

There has been overheating probs (slowdown, shutdowns) which improved when I bought one of those cooling fans for laptops.

However, I also had malware infections, so I haven't been certain which is the true culprit.

Thanks, I'll d/l the software & will post the screenshot tonight.

#6 Fougere

Fougere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

Okay, I navigated to a streaming video website and the CPU jumped to 100%. I don't know if it means anything to you, but the audio is normal, but the video lags at least 10 seconds behind the audio.

CPU drops to about 30% when posting in this and other forums.

Anyway, here's the screenshot (sorry it's so gigantic. I'm only using MSPaint):

Posted Image

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

I don't see your cpu temp in hwmonitor at all but the acpi temp is very high. You could try another video driver.

Go to start, run, and type
devmgmt.msc
and press enter.

Go to display adapters and double click your video card. Go to the drivers tab and roll back if you can. If that is greyed out, try to update drivers. Also, post the make and model of your video hardware.

My thinking is that the video software is outdated and is leaking memory. Hopefully replacing the driver works.

#8 Fougere

Fougere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

I don't see your cpu temp in hwmonitor at all but the acpi temp is very high. You could try another video driver.

Go to start, run, and type
devmgmt.msc
and press enter.

Go to display adapters and double click your video card. Go to the drivers tab and roll back if you can. If that is greyed out, try to update drivers. Also, post the make and model of your video hardware.

My thinking is that the video software is outdated and is leaking memory. Hopefully replacing the driver works.

Well, I don't know if I have a video card. I have an Intel Graphics card.

Here's a screenshot of the Device Manager Console (My system language is French)

FYI Reseau means network, claviers means keyboards, pilotes means drivers, ordinateur means computer, souris means mice, lecteurs means readers/drives :

Posted Image

What do the ATA controllers do? I took a look at them and I think updated the drivers for the primary and secondary controllers. I'll know more when I restart.

What do you mean by rollback? Can you post a screenshot of what you think I can try with that?

Here's a diagnostic report from the Intel Graphics card preferences module:

INTEL® EXTREME GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 11/04/2010
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 18:27:56
Driver Version: 6.13.10.3514
Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Default Language: French
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 494 MB
Min. Graphics Memory: 15 MB
Max. Graphics Memory: 64 MB
Graphics Memory in use: 17 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2194 MHZ
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x3582
Device Revision: 1

* Output Devices Connected to Graphics Accelerator *

Active Monitors:1
Active Notebook Displays:1
Active Televisions:1 I don't know what this means because I don't have a TV connected to my laptop. Maybe I clicked a button by accident somewhere.

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

the intel graphics controller on your screen was what I meant. Here is what I was talking about by rollback on my screen:

Posted Image

but that yellow exclamation point on the acronis device is cause for concern. I don't know whether it is related but that is usually bad. Try to update the driver on the acronis thing and the intel graphics controller and if that doesn't work try clicking rollback under driver under properties for the device.

If that doesn't work, use Process Explorer. Open it and open a browser and try to get to 100% cpu. Then in process explorer double click the svchost that is using 100% cpu. In that window, click services and post a screenshot.

I'll bet the heat is coming from the processor running at 100% for a long time and hopefully process explorer will reveal why it is going so crazy.

Edited by thrillhouse, 04 November 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#10 Fougere

Fougere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi, thanks for the screenshot.

I updated the Acronis Backup driver, but couldn't update the Intel graphics driver. Here's what the Intel Driver Finding app came up with:

Product Detected Intel® 852GM/855GM
Current Driver Installed 6.13.0010.3514
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Since my computer is an old French Toshiba Satellite A10-S223, I have to go to toshiba.fr to download driver updates. There are a bunch of updates, but I don't know which one will update the Intel Graphics card.

Here's a screenshot of the driver download page:

Posted Image

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:15 AM

Display driver is what you need. I hope it works.

#12 Fougere

Fougere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

Walp, I don't know what the dealio is: After installing the update from 2008, no noticeable improvement. As amatter of fact, visual display performance is slow. Process Explorer shows CPU is btween 20%-100%, (jumps to 100% when I type). Page loads are slow.

Laptopo cooling fan is on, laptop is cool to the touch. IDK, man...what tha is going on with my stoopid laptop?

You have been asking for a computer spec & I've been trying to give you what I know from memory. Is there some way (some computer module to run) I can get all the specs & post them for you...or do you not need that anymore?

Just wondering: what are the contributing factors to the speed at which one interacts over the internet? Could, say, one of the services contained in the svchost process that is built for web access be corrupted or damaged? How can a person identify if one of the services therein is messed up?

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Good question. Look up a program called process explorer and click the private bytes at the top of the column to orginaze them by memory use. Look for the 100% cpu svchost and double click it. Look at the services tab. That will tell you what is so high. At this point I think you should consider that you might be infected with a virus. Are you sure you got rid of the viruses from before?

#14 Fougere

Fougere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

Good question. Look up a program called process explorer and click the private bytes at the top of the column to orginaze them by memory use. Look for the 100% cpu svchost and double click it. Look at the services tab. That will tell you what is so high. At this point I think you should consider that you might be infected with a virus. Are you sure you got rid of the viruses from before?

I'm not sure I got rid of the viruses, but I sure did try. I'll try running the av progs again. Also, the svchost that eats CPU has 25 services inside it. It's the svchost that is set up for internet use "netsvcs". Anyway, it doesn't eat CPU as much since I disabled windows automatic updates. Now, IE uses up CPU when I try to load streaming video, such as watch a program on hulu.com.

Here's a screenshot of the process and its services:

Posted Image

Finally, I'm wondering if I should investigate the cooling issue. Maybe the heatsink needs silicone paste or whatever.

#15 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

That happened to my laptop, could be. I think you should make a topic in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum because it seems to me that the virus situation needs to be sorted out. I think you will find that once the viruses are gone you won't run so hot because you won't be using as much resources. Be sure in the new thread to paste a link to this one so the people in there can see the work you have already done. Good luck and let me know in this thread once you solve the virus thing if you are still too hot and we'll go from there. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users