Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Almost Running Out Of Gbs And I Don't Know Why!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 duperman

duperman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:03 AM

Hello, if I sound really newbie please bear with me I am not too good with computers. Yesterday I clicked the C drive on my computer and at the left it said I have 18.6 GB free space out of a total of 107 GB. Just a month ago I had about 60 GB. Why is there so little space left, and what happens once I run out and try do download something? I only have abuot 7 gb of music, and I have been downloading movies but I have about 9 or 10, it shouldn't take up for than 15-20 GB. I looked at my control panel and the biggest program took up only 3 GB. I clean my computer quite often and delete programs I don't use. Is there a way to see a breakdown of what is taking up so much space on my computer? I am really worried that I'll run out. Please help if you know, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,563 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:01 AM

DISKdata
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

Just FYI, system restore points, temporary files, recycle bin files etc all take up space and by deleting those you could make room, also since you mentioned you download music/movies which are pretty large files, i'd suggest you also analyze ur fragmentation levels, its likely ur disk is fragmented. Run a chkdsk and defrag after u delete unnecessary stuff. ( Not that this will get you back your lost space, but simply for performance)
Here's a nice link on freeing up HD space, if u need it.
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2007p162id97442.htm

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:15 AM

Another utility which you might use: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/treesize.html.

Louis

#5 duperman

duperman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for DiskData program...I used it...very interesting...the program has the options of scanning drives a-j, but only drive c yields any results.

Ok, so my documents and settings folder has 30 GB of space. Programs files take up 54 GB of space (my movies, under Prog Files folder, took up more than I thought- about 40 GB)

So in total Docs and Setts + Prog Files take up 84 GB. Now, everything else in C drive consists of small folders here and there that together wouldnt make too much GB. Acording to DiskData, my C Drive takes up 91.5 GB of space. It seems to add up now, because total size is only 107 GB of space, and so I should have only 15 GB left, but then I only have 11 GB left. I am in the middle of downloading movies onto my comp though, so maybe some space is automatically alotted even if it hasnt been filled yet.

Yikes my movies took up a lot more space than I thought. Thanks for the replies, I'll burn them onto cds and clear some space. BTW, since DD is only a trial program, I'll be trying the other prog. mentioned (is it free?)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:13 PM

When copying/moving stuff around - Windows uses a chunk of your hard drive as temporary storage space. That's why most folks will recommend that you have at least 15% of your drive free to handle these issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 duperman

duperman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

how do i clear this temporary storage drive space?

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:04 AM

You don't, Windows takes care of it. Usasma is just pointing out that Windows needs that much free space to run around in. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 duperman

duperman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

Crap, thanks for replies everybody. I'm going to try to clear some movies now, they took up much more space than I imagined.

#10 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

Just a thought ... would it have been worth doing a DEFRAG in any case?
Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

"If you declare that you can create a machine that will peel a potato, he will proclaim it impossible ...
Yet if it peels a potato before his very eyes, he will say it is useless since it cannot slice a pineapple!"

Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:24 PM

Defrag is a good thing. On severely fragmented disks it can save a lot of space. But that depends on the defrag program and what techniques it uses alon with what file system you're using.

FWIW - I've got my defragger set to run daily and I consistently find 1 to 2 % fragmentation on my loosely packed NTFS drive (1/4 full, 36 gB Western Digital SATA Raptor drive). Also, my pagefile is on a separate drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users